Windows 7 BSOD when playing games or doing nothing! :D

Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 24, {1904fb, 96ee5bb8, 96ee5790, 2}

Probably caused by : Ntfs.sys ( Ntfs!NtfsExceptionFilter+ad )

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi,
regarding your post above, just do as you did before leave the keyboard & mouse plugged in but just remove the hub or wifi or both it's up to you.
The above bsod was caused by corrupt data in the RAM although I'm thinking when it means this it's actually meaning the USB as zipdrives are basically memory. Try testing with the USB again and see how you go.

I've hunted high and low for chipset drivers but not much luck as of yet... There are drivers out for xp and win 2000 but not win 7. I'll keep looking. Also isn't your machine a Packard Bell something or other? Do you know the models name?

aswHwid.sys Thu Jun 26 12:31:24 2014: You still seem to have Avast AV installed. If you've uninstalled it then try a search for the above driver.

Last edited:
Hmm maybe I didn't unisntall avast correctly? I've read that people had problem with that, even though it's uninstalled it's still there, it's nowhere in "unintall or change program" though. I'll try to find a way to uninstall it the right way.

Now about the model, I'm not sure, can't I find it from CPU-Z? These thing are written on the back of the tower:

S/N : 1255 4541 0319
Model/Type raf. : UTOW-CUB
MS MODEL : CUB01 ID00DA
P/N : PB80114142

Should I install xp maybe? Would that help?

Edit: Seems Like Avast has a program to uninstall it cleanly in safe mode, did that so I think we're good from that. Also I've been playing games since my last post without the usb, connected it again to write this post and download a more demanding game for testing and got 3 bsods till now.

Attachments

• 102814-32000-01.zip
    79.2 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:
Code:

BugCheck 1000008E, {c0000005, 82c7be63, 96b3b7d4, 0}

Probably caused by : dxgkrnl.sys ( dxgkrnl!DXGDEVICE::OpenAllocations+390 )

Hi,
well from what you say above that you used the machine without the USB drive being plugged in and no bsods. You plug it in and get 3. So it's either, The USB driver (doubtful as your keyboard and mouse don't cause bsod's) or the stick itself. As for drivers.. I can see from the dump file your system model is a Packard Bell IMEDIA J2589. Unfortunately Packard Bell is now owned by Acer and the new website doesn't seem to carry any drivers for legacy systems. I've also searched online for drivers but apart from vague mentions here and there as well as bogus driver sites I can find nothing resembling a windows 7 usb driver for your system. I thought i'd found an XP one which at least would have been something but nope, another bogus site.
Your issue definitely lays either with the USB wi-fi stick or the drivers. Did any drivers come with the stick itself?

Hello,
I think that it's the USB wi-fi stick as well, I do think I had drivers, I'm gonna check it again.

Yesterday I played a game that my pc shouldn't be able to in order to see if it's something other than the usb, but it seems that the game was actually playable and I managed to play for 6 hours straight with no problems (which made me one happy man :p ).

I'm gonna see what I can do with the drivers and post back, thank you very much for your help, you're awesome!
Thankfully it wasn't a big problem like the GPU or the HDD, hopefully I'll be able to find the drivers but even if that doesn't fix it, I'll know what I have to change in order to do that.

Hi,
good news on the game front. Games are perhaps one of the best tests for a pc as some can really stress the computer. So if you played for 6hrs it's looking pretty stable, let me know if I can help in anyway and good luck.

Hello,

so I've been playing games on the pc for the last 10 days or so without having the wifi stick plugged in, and I've gotten 2 bsods (which I'll include in the post).

The thing is, I tried the wifi stick in another pc and it worked fine there, also that other pc had the same wifi stick which I tried on my pc and got bsods with that one as well. I was thinking of buying a wifi card in order to see if I'll have the same problems but I thought I should post here first.

Thanks again for your time. :)

Attachments

• 110314-24593-01.zip
    52.9 KB · Views: 227
Code:

BugCheck 24, {1904fb, 8ad0bbb8, 8ad0b790, 3}

Hi Rodakino,
What is the actual make and model of the wifi usb device? Is it Wacom? Also with the WiFi device not producing any bsods with a different computer all that suggests is that the WiFi device is working as it should but your pc is not. Even though it was removed from your system at the time of BSOD the drivers, assuming it uses them, wouldn't be so it's still not a very clear picture.

No wacom in the tablet I use for drawing which I completely forgot that's also connected via usb, although there haven't been any problem with that, I used it in these 10 days and had no problems.

The wifi usb is "Turbo-X Wireless USB N150 Mini", but as you said I also don't think that's the problem. I do think I still have the drivers I downloaded, could the drivers be causing the bsod even though it's not plugged in?

But why do I get much more bsods when it's connected but almost none when it is not? Maybe it has to do something with the internet or is it the specific model of the wifi device? If I used a wifi card is there a chance it would work better?

The wifi usb is "Turbo-X Wireless USB N150 Mini", but as you said I also don't think that's the problem

I never said that. If you remember we concluded last it was probably the USB wifi router. You said in post #24 that you agreed it probably the USB wifi stick and was going to look for better drivers. Did you find any?

As I've said your machine was originally built for xp. Your now running windows 7 without any sort of driver support.

As we seemed to get somewhere before with the USB stick try this time removing the software for it too. Or better still see if there are any updates first.

Oh sorry, must have misunderstood you cause you said it's the pc problem if the wifi device is working fine on another pc.

The only drivers I've found are the ones I downloaded from the shops site, I can't find anything else. The product is only sold from a certain chain store (not sure if I'm saying that correctly, I mean a number of shops with the same name), so the only drivers I found are those.

I downloaded a software that scans your pc for drivers and downloads them for you, and it found 8 drivers that needed to be updated but it bsods before its able to download them, I'm thinking of downloading them from another pc and then installing them in mine, what do you think?

Maybe I should just go back to xp then? But that wouldn't fix this, would it?

Thanks for replying :)

Apologies.. What I meant was that the wifi usb stick isn't faulty as it works ok in a different machine but something on your machine conflicts with it or it's drivers.

Your idea of getting the drivers through a different machine is a good one and perhaps worth a try. See if you can get chipset drivers as they usually include USB drivers.

I doubt going back to xp is needed as this may be just a driver conflict issue.

Can you post the link for the USB driver please.

Lol.. I found that one earlier but didn't think it was the right one..

Good luck with those drivers!

Hello,

I've been looking for drivers all over, first of all, the VIA ones I found through the software I mentioned were:

VIA Bus Master IDE Controller - 0571
VIA Serial ATA Controller - 0591

I did download them and updated them but that didn't fix anything.

After that I tried looking for chipset drivers, I found some stuff but only for xp or vista (I think the pc had vista when I first bought it, completely forgot about that).I also found this link:

http://packard-bell-scandic.custhel...1/~/finding-drivers-for-packard-bell-desktops

seems there is an older driver section for packart bell but I wasn't sure if anything there was right.
Lastly, I found this site that says it has the drivers for packard bell imedia j2589:

http://www.driverscape.com/manufacturers/packard+bell/laptops-desktops/imedia-j2589/17060

Of course I don't know if these are any good but they are similar to the stuff under "System Devices" and "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers" in my device manager.

Also I was wondering if taking every VIA hardware Id (for example ven_1106&dev_c327) and google it to find an updated version of it cause most of my drivers are from 2006.

I had no idea it would be this confusing :p

This is what I was trying to get across to you.. That due to age finding drivers is gonna be difficult plus your using an os which basically your system wasn't designed for..

Anyhow, did you try uninstalling the wifi sticks software to see if the bsod's stopped?

I understand that, but doesn't that mean that if those drivers don't exist for windows 7, a change in os would be the only solution?

About that, at first I did have the software but then I uninstalled it, then when I downloaded the drivers again, I intsalled them without the software (the software was a RaLink something I think), the problem was there with or without the software and I could access the internet even without it. I don't know if there is a way to uninstall the drivers, should I try doing that?

I understand that, but doesn't that mean that if those drivers don't exist for windows 7, a change in os would be the only solution?

well I guess it depends on whether windows 7 has ever ran on your system without blue screening. If Windows 7 used to run fine then it might help going back to xp and it might not simply because the issue might be hardware related. I guess going back would be a kind of last resort.
This test will tell us more as to whether it's worth going back to xp or not. Download this app and run it to see if your machine is compatible or not:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20

Post any new dump files.

Well, I don't even remember when I was able to use that pc without bsod. Even with XP I still had problems I think but it could certainly be a driver problem cause I doubt I was ever able to install them all correctly back then, I wouldn't even know it was a driver problem. I can't remember if I had the same issue with internet either. Also, not sure if relevant, but when I bought it, the pc had vista installed and the monitor that came with it (bought the whole package) has speakers on it, well they only worked back then, after the first format and till now they haven't worked again (even though I've changed the graphic card).

I run the test, it passed the system and device tests although it says that I should get more information on windows 7 from packard bell website too but nothing that indicates anything else.

I'll upload some more dump files from today, I tried extracting from a .rar file I think that led to some bsods, I managed to extract it though and after that no more bsods. The newest 2 were from the test I just ran, I had to connect the wifi stick because the test needed an internet connection, I was able to run the test the 3rd time though (thankfully).

Attachments

• 111314-32312-01.zip
    190.2 KB · Views: 247
Code:

BugCheck 24, {1904fb, 807f9bb8, 807f9790, 2}

Hi,
most of your dump files were like the above. In fact they were pretty similar to the ones you sent before.

Reading back through your thread to see what we've tested I see that the only thing that's shown any errors when tested has been the USB stick.

Please test it again using Seatools link is above.

Regarding your computer history... If the machine has blue screened since you first used it were you also using the same USB stick?

Regarding your speakers. Probably the reason they stopped working after the format is because you need to install the audio driver. This is difficult because of the lack of drivers for your system.

Can you list what you have attached to your pc via USB ports excluding the keyboard and mouse.

Also what install disks do you have? Do you have copies of Windows 7 or xp?

Hello,
no I wasn't using the same USB, back then I had an internet card but after installing win7 (not sure if that was the reason or it was just broken, I wasn't using the pc for a while) it didn't work so I bought the wifi stick.

I had downloaded some audio drivers but I guess they weren't the right ones, anyway the sound isn't a problem, I mentioned it in case it had to do with the chipset drivers or something.

The only things I have via USB are the keyboard and the mouse right now, I did have the wacom tablet as well, but I didn't notice any problems like I do with the wifi stick.

I tested the usb again using seatools but it's the same like last time, it fails to test the usb. I notice there is an advance test option, but it says that it could erase data or make the drive unusable, should I go ahead and try that?

I don't have legal copies unfortunately. Now that you mention it though, I did install win7 via USB after formating. Could that be relevant?

Back