Windows 10 BSOD when watching videos

krskiff

I recently built myself a computer, bought Windows 8.1, and immediately upgraded to Windows 10. I checked my GPU drivers, my monitor drivers, and (for my mental peace) my motherboard drivers. All are up to date.

However, I encounter a BSOD:
- When viewing a youtube video in fullscreen
- When viewing a video in VLC media player in either windowed fullscreen or true fullscreen
EDIT - When viewing a video in VLC in a windowed mode (though it takes quite a while for a BSOD to occur in this instance)
I sometimes encounter a BSOD:
- In normal browsing sessions in Google Chrome
I never encounter a BSOD:
- When playing a fullscreen video game, whether resource-intensive or not
- At any other time
When I encounter a BSOD, it is not immediate. Sometimes it happens within five minutes. Sometimes it may take up to twenty minutes. Those are approximate values, by the way. I haven't actually timed the thing.

Do you have any suggestions? I appreciate any assistance.

Attachments

• W7F_17-01-2016.zip
    549.8 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 109, {a3a00f58b6a7eaa9, b3b71bdf09297cc2, 6, 18}

Probably caused by : Unknown_Image ( ANALYSIS_INCONCLUSIVE )

Followup: MachineOwner
There are generally three different causes for this bug check:
  1. A driver has inadvertently, or deliberately, modified critical kernel code or data. Microsoft Windows Server 2003 with Service Pack 1 (SP1) and later versions of Windows for x64-based computers do not allow the kernel to be patched except through authorized Microsoft-originated hot patches. For more information, see Patching Policy for x64-based Systems.
  2. A developer attempted to set a normal kernel breakpoint using a kernel debugger that was not attached when the system was started. Normal breakpoints (bp) can only be set if the debugger is attached at start time. Processor breakpoints (ba) can be set at any time.
  3. A hardware corruption occurred. For example, the kernel code or data could have been stored in memory that failed.
Reference
Hi,
as you can see from the above cause i posted this bugcheck can be caused by a number of things. Unfortunately not much was revealed by the dump file as to which possible cause it may be. I checked through your drivers and one or two are a little old or possible suspects:

athuwbx.sys Wed Nov 20 03:43:49 2013: Atheros AR9271 USB Wireless LAN. I checked for updates but only Windows 7 drivers are available for this driver. Is this something you've added because your moBo has a Intel network chip? If it's no longer used I'd remove it or re-install it using compatibility mode.

iaStorA.sys Fri Apr 04 00:00:05 2014: Intel RST (Rapid Storage Technology) driver
A later version is on your motherboard website:
GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1150 - GA-Z97X-SLI (rev. 1.0)

RTKVHD64.sys Wed May 28 13:17:12 2014: Realtek HD Audio driver. A later verios is on the motherboard support site:

File scans
Right click on the Start menu icon and from the revealed list choose 'admin command prompt'. Type:
sfc /scannow
press enter and await results

In the same command prompt and after the above scan has finished type:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Press enter and await results (longer this time).

If the first scan found files it could not repair but the second scan is successful, run the first scan again using the same command prompt box and this time it should repair the files found.

If the bsod continues then you'll need to test your RAM. Windows does have a memory testing app but it can miss errors and the best app for the job is Memtest86.
If you open the link below you'll see you can run Memtest86 in two ways. You can either burn it to disk or install it onto a USB drive it's entirely up to you. You'll then need to enter the bios to change the boot order so you can boot from either the Disk or USB stick you have Memtest86 on.
You must test for at least 12 hours unless it becomes obvious there is a problem straight away (you'll see errors outlined in red.
Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

Post any new dump files

athuwbx.sys Wed Nov 20 03:43:49 2013: Atheros AR9271 USB Wireless LAN. I checked for updates but only Windows 7 drivers are available for this driver. Is this something you've added because your moBo has a Intel network chip? If it's no longer used I'd remove it or re-install it using compatibility mode.

I use this USB wireless adapter because I can't do ethernet. I can't imagine that it is causing the problem.

iaStorA.sys Fri Apr 04 00:00:05 2014: Intel RST (Rapid Storage Technology) driver
A later version is on your motherboard website:

RTKVHD64.sys Wed May 28 13:17:12 2014: Realtek HD Audio driver. A later verios is on the motherboard support site:

I downloaded the latest versions of these drivers. The problem still exists.

File scans
Right click on the Start menu icon and from the revealed list choose 'admin command prompt'. Type:
sfc /scannow
press enter and await results

In the same command prompt and after the above scan has finished type:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Press enter and await results (longer this time).

I did this, and both commands ran successfully with no errors.

If the bsod continues then you'll need to test your RAM. Windows does have a memory testing app but it can miss errors and the best app for the job is Memtest86.

I tested my RAM using Memtest86. No errors.

Frankly, I am at a loss of what to do. I tried to watch a video tonight (Despicable Me, VLC media player, fullscreen), and it lasted 5 minutes before giving me the completely dark blue screen. I currently have an open thread over at the AMD forums to see if the issue is with my GPU. Currently no one has replied to that thread (go figure).

I attached my new dump file.

Thanks for your assistance so far.

Attachments

• W7F_19-01-2016.zip
    623.9 KB · Views: 368
Code:

BugCheck 109, {a3a00f58b6a7eaa9, b3b71bdf09297cc2, 6, 18}

Probably caused by : Unknown_Image ( ANALYSIS_INCONCLUSIVE )

I use this USB wireless adapter because I can't do ethernet. I can't imagine that it is causing the problem.
As it's a driver originally for Windows 7 I would still install it under compatibility mode.

Let's try running the driver verifier. This will, at start up, stress each driver in turn and see if bsod's. Usually the offending driver will be named in the resulting dump files. It's extremely important you first create a recovery disk/usb as the verifier can sometimes induce a bsod loop at start up. If this occurs you will need the recovery disk/usb to boot into safe mode to turn it off.
Verifier:
How do I fix a Blue Screen in Windows using Driver Verifier?

Recovery
Creating a recovery drive - Windows Help -

Okay, so I have narrowed down the problem to either my GPU, the drivers for my GPU, or windows 10.

I uninstalled all my GPU drivers, leaving me with the default integrated graphics. I ran a video on that and got no blue screens, no graphics hiccups whatsoever. I also disabled Windows from autoupdating my graphics drivers.

I reinstalled the newest version of the AMD drivers for my computer and after playing video, I got the blue screen again. I am very pissed off right now, to be honest. I can't figure out if Windows 10 is screwing up (which is entirely possible and not altogether unlikely), or if I got a bad GPU and I need to send it back, which is another whole round of headaches.

How safe is running the driver verifier?

Try running the Display driver uninstaller as this removes previous bit's and bob's left behind by previous installs:
Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) V15.7.3.1 Released. - Wagnardmobile Forum

I see your running an R9 390 card, what PSU (make and model) do you currently have?

Is it possible for you to try the gpu in a friends machine?

Running driver verifier is safe as long as you follow my advice that i posted above. As it can sometimes cause a bsod loop on start up you need to first create a Recovery disk/USB so that you boot from it, enter safe mode and turn off the verifier. All the links are posted above.

Oh and please post any new dump files.

Power Supply: EVGA Supernova 850 B2, 850 W. It's not possible for me to try the GPU in a friend's machine, unfortunately.

I ran the driver verifier and got stuck in a BIOS/blue screen loop. I was able to use my recovery USB to get out of it, thankfully. So that's a dead end. I went ahead and attached the dump files.

Thanks for the driver verifier tip. Too bad it didn't work.

Attachments

• W7F_22-01-2016.zip
    732.1 KB · Views: 423
Code:

BugCheck C4, {2000, fffff800c1b34d21, 0, 0}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for CLVirtualDrive.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for CLVirtualDrive.sys
Probably caused by : CLVirtualDrive.sys ( CLVirtualDrive+4d21 )

Hi,
well it looks like the verifier did work after all as it has indeed caught a driver (which is what the above Bugcheck means). I'm so glad you made the Recovery drive, it certainly does make life easier..
Anyhoo the driver in question is this:

CLVirtualDrive.sys Mon Dec 26 13:26:47 2011: Cyberlink virtual device driver. Please either update or remove:
Customer Support - Updates | CyberLink

If the machine still bsod's then it might be worth running the verifier again but see how you go. Please post any new dump files.

Back