Windows 7 Build 7057 x64 - Random and temporary freezes

faeder

Hi everyone,

For quiet some time now, I have been suffering from random and temporary freezes from windows.

It's usually when I am browsing the Internet (with Firefox, IE8 or Opera) but it also happens while only my windows explorer is open. When it happens, I can still move my mouse over (but with the blue loading ring cursor), but all the applications are covered with a white mask and are said to be "not responding". The task bar still work though, as i can click the "start" icon and the menu appears (but i can't load any new applications). Sometimes, it last for 1 to 5 seconds only. But there have already been one that lasted more than 5 minutes, and the average is at a minute, i think. And I can't figure out when they started nor why they started. And the intervalls between two freezes varies too (from 10sec to a few hours without any freezes). But to give an example, just while writing this post, which took me about 5 minutes, i had 12 freezes of about 5 secs each. And believe me, it really is irritating when it happens while writing...

My system was perfectly fine for two or three weeks before that (Since the day I installed this build, in fact). I didn't install any new program, and I don't remember updating anything either. But just in case, i ran an Avast scan but it didn't find anything...

So, if anyone have any idea on how to fix this problem, i would greatly appreciate any help.

Here's my rig, in case it's hardware related (which I doubt, as everything was working fine before)
Code:
 - Processor : Intel I7 920
 - Motherboard : Asus P6T6 WS Revolution
 - Ram : OCZ DDR3 6Gb Platinum
 - Graphics : Gainward GTX280
 - Wifi : Abit Airpace
 - HDD : OCZ Apex SSD 120Gb (with only windows on it, and no temporary files (except Web browsers one, as i can't figure out how to move them)
         Caviar Black 1Tb (with data and windows temporary files)
         Western Digital 250Gb (data only)

I really hope someone here can help me because it starting to motivate me to go back to XP (which is sab because 7 was really much better for me).

Fae

What I would suggest is to use a different build.. ;) Build 7057 is known for problems like this... I wouldn't go back to XP just yet as the other builds are rock solid and very few problems have been reported with them.. ;) Also, the RC is due out VERY soon so you'll be able to download that from Microsoft when it's released... But yeah, in the meantime like I said, just use a different build if possible.. or simply wait for the RC to be released.. :) It wouldn't be worth your time and effort to try to fix these problems with there being so many other builds to choose from and with the RC so close.. ;)

That was a quick reply, Radenight :)

That's what I intended to do if there was no available solutions, wait for the RC and just go along with the freezes for the time being. But if anybody has a solution i will gladly accept it. If these freezes continues, i may be obligated to hang myself... or bite my arm off. And i am not really eager to do either one of these deseperate acts ;)

Howevere, I don't want to install another pre-RC build, as it will shorten my SSD's lifespan. So unless someone find a solution to my problem, i am stuck with it :frown:

That was a quick reply, Radenight :)

That's what I intended to do if there was no available solutions, wait for the RC and just go along with the freezes for the time being. But if anybody has a solution i will gladly accept it. If these freezes continues, i may be obligated to hang myself... or bite my arm off. And i am not really eager to do either one of these deseperate acts ;)

Howevere, I don't want to install another pre-RC build, as it will shorten my SSD's lifespan. So unless someone find a solution to my problem, i am stuck with it :frown:
while generally sharing Radenight's observations about the Build 7057 and adding 7052 in the same group, may I suggest you to check the the Events Viewer >Custom Views>Administartive Events for clues to the cause of the freezes you have noticed.

One easy way to access the Critical errors that might have been recorded in the above log is as follows:

1. From the Desktop, click on Start ( Windows globe icon) and in the Search programs and files box [Similar to Run box of WinXP)
  2. type in VER and press the [ENTER] key and
  3. locate Event Viewer [Local] in the Left pane and proceed as shown above.
Most likely causes are incompatible Video adapter drivers, RAM problems, Inadequqate Power Supply and errors in the System BIOS dealing with Voltage.

Things that you can consider are:

• use the latest VISTA Bit 64 Drivers for all Onboard devices starting with Chipset and include video adapter and sound card to that.
  • Latest Vista x64 drivers from the manufacturers of add-on cards you have on this system
  • Check your BIOS Setup for currently applied Memory Voltage and check your RAM manufacturer's suggested optimum Voltage from their documentation and see if you can make any changes. [Consult RAM manufacturer's Tech support explaining the symptoms you are encountering in the computer before you mke changes in the BIOS setup]
  • Any BIOS update Firmware you can install from the System Board manufacturer released for this board after the current one was sold for addressing any reported system instabilities. You can see your current BIOS version from your BIOS setup or during POST or actual inspection of the board inside the chassis.
  • Run mem86+ test to check how your RAM modules are.

Last edited:
Hi cmn and thanks for your reply,

The event viewer don't show any problem except a SPTD Driver Error (not critical) (that happened first when I tried to install Daemon Tools, whose setup is totally incompatible with 7 and I just can't delete the driver now, as i don't know where to look for it). However, the freezes started long before that, so no link there.

I am currently upgrading all off my drivers with vista X64 version, except for my Wifi adapter which works just fine (and "if it ain't broke, don't fix it.". this is especially true for this Abit Airpace card... it's a really bad piece of hardware, in my opinion).

I will keep you informed when all the drivers are installed.

Thanks,

Fae

Edit : Nope, no change after the few drivers updates. It's still freezing. Well, guess I have no choice but to be stuck with these until RC time comes up... :(

Last edited:
Hi cmn and thanks for your reply,

The event viewer don't show any problem except a SPTD Driver Error (not critical) (that happened first when I tried to install Daemon Tools, whose setup is totally incompatible with 7 and I just can't delete the driver now, as i don't know where to look for it). However, the freezes started long before that, so no link there.

I am currently upgrading all off my drivers with vista X64 version, except for my Wifi adapter which works just fine (and \"if it ain't broke, don't fix it.\". this is especially true for this Abit Airpace card... it's a really bad piece of hardware, in my opinion).

I will keep you informed when all the drivers are installed.

Thanks,

Fae

Edit : Nope, no change after the few drivers updates. It's still freezing. Well, guess I have no choice but to be stuck with these until RC time comes up... :(
Thank you Fae for your response.
I know you have some expensive and fast RAM from a reputable manufacturer but please be aware that even the best manufacturer could, at times, release a batch that was later found to be faulty!. So, my suggestion is to test the RAM with Mem 86+ ( not just Windows Memory Test).

I realize the problem is confounded by another variable, namely a Beta OS with a Build known to be problem prone. As indicated in my original answer, I myself had problem with two 705X Builds, and hence had to abandon them after significant instabilty and then go back to Build 7048 for stability on the same set of hardware (MoB, CPU, RAM , Video card).

Your symptoms of frequent unexpected freezes are also seen with hardware or their driver problems and system overheat and defective or overloaded PSU. Therefore in my opinion, all of these components should be tested to make sure your Computer hardware is ready when the new OS comes out as RC.

My approach from the current stage of troubleshoot would be to first rule out any system file corruption in the currently installed Win 7 that might be responsible for the freezeup.
  • A quick way is to do a System Repair using the Installation DVD.
  • If the freezeup does not respond after the above step, we can now assume that it is not due to a System file corruption. It can still be due to an inherently bad build.
  • If you have another BUILD say 7048 -64 Bit, try that and see if the problem has resolved.
  • If you don't have any other Build to try, then take the troubleshoot toward hardware side of the system.
    • make sure you have the right wattage for your PSU . Check this site ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Support-
    • Try removing all but one module of RAM (2GB?) You got 6 RAM slots Rt?
    • Try performing Mem86+ test on all RAM sticks you have, one at a time and then walk all slots using the RAM that has passed the Mem86+ test and rule out Slot issue ( Mobo issue)
OR
    • Try to do an overnight Mem86+ Memory test with all installed RAMS on board. If that finds a defective RAM try replacement.
    • Make sure you have adequate Computer cooling for this powerful board, CPU and Video card .. Overheat is still by far the most common cause for Random freeze even on newly built system that lacks adequate Fans and Vents in the chassis. The good old method of opening the case and directing a table fan to blow cool air into the system while you perform graphic intensive work with your computer is an easy way to asses the need for additional system fans.
    • If you have another Videocard, swap and see if that is Videocard related.
  • The result of one or more of the above steps could lead you to the logical next step.
Good luck .

Hi cmn,

So, after your last post, here is what I did :
- Memtest86+ no errors after 15 hours and 10 or so passes on the 3 sticks (plus 2 passes on each stick separately after that)
- Switched my Graphic card with an older 7900gtx
- put a temperature probe inside my case, near the processor (no more than 40-50°C in there...)
- My wattage is far enough for everything (1050W)

Now, last thing to so is the System repair... which i am pretty sure won't do anything. I will have my Install DVD back on monday or tuesday (lend it to a friend, who hasn't any of my problems (yet ;), but he is running in VBox under linux, so it's not really comparable).

I will keep you informed after that.

But I have another question, which might be related (I honestly have no idea if it is or not). What are the symptoms of SSD stuttering ? I don't know if that's what's happenning, but it has been bugging me for a while. My SSD is JMicron based so it should suffer from it. But I don't even know what a stutering disk woul look like. Many describe it as a pause in the system, which is kind of like my freezes, and that's why I was wondering about that. So, can anyone tell me exactly what do these stutterring look like and if there is any monitoring tool I could use to check if that's what I am experiencing ?

Thanks for your time anyway,

Fae

Hi cmn,

So, after your last post, here is what I did :
- Memtest86+ no errors after 15 hours and 10 or so passes on the 3 sticks (plus 2 passes on each stick separately after that)
- Switched my Graphic card with an older 7900gtx
- put a temperature probe inside my case, near the processor (no more than 40-50°C in there...)
- My wattage is far enough for everything (1050W)

Now, last thing to so is the System repair... which i am pretty sure won't do anything. I will have my Install DVD back on monday or tuesday (lend it to a friend, who hasn't any of my problems (yet ;), but he is running in VBox under linux, so it's not really comparable).

I will keep you informed after that.

But I have another question, which might be related (I honestly have no idea if it is or not). What are the symptoms of SSD stuttering ? I don't know if that's what's happenning, but it has been bugging me for a while. My SSD is JMicron based so it should suffer from it. But I don't even know what a stutering disk woul look like. Many describe it as a pause in the system, which is kind of like my freezes, and that's why I was wondering about that. So, can anyone tell me exactly what do these stutterring look like and if there is any monitoring tool I could use to check if that's what I am experiencing ?

Thanks for your time anyway,

Fae
I have so far not installed SSD drives in any of my systems because their price is still prohibitive and beyond my budget! I have never used a system that has installed this new technology spinless drive. As far as I know about them, unlike the older HDDs with moving parts where early failure symptom presents in reading, this one (SSD) presents with errors on Writing to the disk. When I reread your post , I saw you seem to think in that direction but then I found another variable namely a 'not so good BUILD of Win 7' you have used, my attention was focused first on the OS. More over I did not know the rest of your hardware SPECS which you now have shown to be more than adequate for any OS. A brand new SSD to fail this early????? I don't know the answer sir. I am sure there are guys here with a lot more knowledge and experience and I hope they will help you out. I am very much interested to learn how you solved it and therefore look forward to your furture posts on this topic.
Thank you and Good Luck.

okay. I have been searching for this exact problem for about 2 months now, since I installed Windows 7. I have the EXACT same problem. My computer will hang a lot and it usually occurs when browsing the internet, but it is not limited to that. I have tried uninstalling AVG, updating and reverting pretty much every single driver, disabling some things in device manager, and upgrading to the newest build. I have not had any success and this is the first forum post I was able to find with a similar problem. It will lock up for about a minute and the programs go white, then all of a sudden everything is fine. It is getting to the point where it is unusable. Please if anyone has suggestions or you have resolved this let me know!! Thanks

EDIT: I'd also like to add the fact that I have an ATI Radeon X600 video card which I originally thought was the problem, but I have tried several different driver versions, including a windows 7 beta driver and that did not solve the problem either

Last edited:
Hey Jon,

Sorry to hear about your problem. It does sound exactly like the problem I had. I say I had because I have now installed the RC over my previous build, and, so far, I haven't suffered from any problem at all.

All is back to normal.

Hey Jon,

Sorry to hear about your problem. It does sound exactly like the problem I had. I say I had because I have now installed the RC over my previous build, and, so far, I haven't suffered from any problem at all.

All is back to normal.
Hi faeder,
Welcome back. Very glad to know you fixed the problem by installing the Win 7 7100.
Remember, this is exactly what Radenight precribed as treatment of choice for your problem on the very first post
... simply wait for the RC to be released.. :) It wouldn't be worth your time and effort to try to fix these problems with there being so many other builds to choose from and with the RC so close ...

How prophetic those words turned out to be!!! :)

Hey guys,

I was able to track down a copy of the newest RC and installed it and so far so good. I've only been using it for a few hours, but I used to get freezes every 5-10 minutes or so. Thanks for the help and hopefully it doesn't come back!

im back...and sad to report that hte problems are back. after upgrading to the RC the problems came back after about a day, frequenty hangs are back..usually occuring for 1-2 minutes before unlocking. Since I originally upgraded to the RC I decided to reformat and reinstalling everything from scratch hoping htat would fix the problem, but it did not.

Does anyone have any other suggestions before I break this thing??!

okay so don't want to jinx anything but I think the problem is finally solved and figured I'd update everyone in case someone else runs into the same problem. From my dad's suggestion, I tried reinstalling Windows 7 on a completely different hard drive. So far I've been using it 2 days without any freezes. I'll keep everyone updated but so far it is running great

I had same problem.

Get rid of AVG antivirus. It does random and temporary freeze you Windows 7. (Mine did anyway)

I am getting this problem

I am getting this problem using Windows 7 x64 Version 6.1 (Build 7600) under an Intel Core 2 chip at 1.6Ghz. Every so often, all applications (but not the start menu) are covered by a white "mask" and freeze for about a minute. Then everything resumes. I looked in my event viewer under administrative events and there are a pile of errors from sources including atapi, DistributedCOM, and ServiceControlManager. I also just looked under system information and noticed that the drivers for my mass storage controller are not installed, so I will do that and report back on whether it solves the problem.

Back