Windows 7 Built in Webcam Viewer like XP?

all these extra applications are bs,I dont want to install any extra clogging software, I miss the described feature!!
Can someone positively confirm that the feature is removed from win7?

I have looked for over an hour and searching returns only garbage 'free' software.
XP had a built in webcam viewer, just by double clicking the camera in my computer, I can't seem to find this functionality anywhere in Win 7.
Was this feature removed from this OS?

I had win7 on my aspire one --for about 3 hours. If memory serves I could go into Control Panel -> Devices and printers and click on it there to view it on screen. It's been a fair while siince I put XP back in that machine so lets hope the old memory isn't too faulty.

I have looked for over an hour and searching returns only garbage 'free' software.
XP had a built in webcam viewer, just by double clicking the camera in my computer, I can't seem to find this functionality anywhere in Win 7.
Was this feature removed from this OS?

Here is what happened. Windows XP was released with functionality for webcam in the my computer window. It did not have full compatibility with all web cams and you could not record video ( I believe, i never used it much other than to test that a web cam was working). M$ released windows live movie maker(free) which allowed viewing and capture of webcam video with ANY webcam. Windows 7 was released along side a new version of windows live movie maker. Again this free software allows the view/capture of any attached and recognized webcam.

To make this work........
install either JUST movie maker from this Link Removed due to 404 Error
Or the whole live essential pack, this Link Removed due to 404 Error
Or if you dont like links, just go to www. microsoft. com and search for windows 7 movie maker

after install, start -> all programs -> windows live movie maker. click the webcam icon and it displays the webcam in a window that looks almost identical to the old view in XP except there is a record button available.

Good luck with your web cam!

And to the people that said basically "oh you don't know what your talking about it had to be 3rd party software you were using in xp" please do you research before giving advice on a subject you are clearly not qualified to offer assistance on.

Last edited:
Windows 7 does not have webcam viewer. In none of the distributions. The only way to look realtime feed from your webcam is from the supported software form the vendor of your webcam. You can use "amcap" application for simple tasks.

Microsoft Silverlight does it for me. You have to have the camera installed from your own software of course.

Have you tried Yawcam? I'ts a very simple webcam viewer. I have it installed on both my Win 7 & Win 8 machine to use the webcam as IP cam. Try it.

Back
Top Bottom