Windows 7 Can I change 64 bit Windows 7 to 32 bit windows 7?

Pattychow

I just got Windows 7 Home premium, but I accidentally installed the 64 bit OS instead of the 32 bit OS. I didn't download or install anything yet on the 64 bit so I just need to change to 32 bit... Someone help please? Can I put the 32 bit CD in the disk drive and just install that or do I need to reinstall or uninstall windows 7 completely?

Considering Windows 7 seems to be the fastest installing Windows I've seen in awhile (at least on my machine) I would just reinstall. Even if there's a Microsoft way to do this I'll bet it leaves behind tons of **** in the file system and registry.. if you haven't installed anything yet just pop that CD back in and format and go at it again mate!

You can't change from 64 bit to 32 bit anyway. The only thing you can do is format the drive and do a clean installation of 32 bit Windows 7.

So basically I WOULD be getting rid of the 64 bit Windows 7 from my hard drive, and just use 32 bit windows 7 instead of 64 bit windows 7 according to Stuey's post. Would that just be erasing my hard drive or reinstalling WIndows 7 32 bit?

You made it sound like a fresh installation, what's the problem with reformatting the drive? Do you have data on it? If so back it up then format the drive in the first step of your new Windows 32-bit setup!

Hi Pattychow! Welcome to the website!

Why do you want to go to 32-bit if your system is capable of running 64-bit?

Nearly all 32-bit software will run on the x64 Windows 7 OS. Plus if you have 4GB of RAM or more it will fully utilize that hardware and your system will be quicker too.

If you still want to go to the 32-bit Windows 7 then you'll have to do a "clean" or custom install. In addition, you'll have to either delete the partitions and make new ones or reformat them prior to install.

However, why downgrade to 32-bit? The 64-bit operating system is here and now. Nearly all CPUs and hardware are for 64-bit. Windows 8, more than likely, will not even be offered in a 32-bit version.

Regardless, it's your decision however you want to setup and run your computer system.

Why do you want to go to 32-bit if your system is capable of running 64-bit?

There are a couple of reasons...

Mostly it's due to Intel's limitations imposed upon the Atom processor. Yes it's a 64 bit chip but it's limited to 4gb of memory by it's support chips. This means most of the mni-HTPCs (ASRock, etc), netbooks, nettops etc. are better suited to the 32 bit x86 codebase as a means of maximizing available memory.

Also the x86 codebase can actually be faster if all software is 32 bits. It eliminates the need to virtualize registries etc. from 64 to 32 bit formats.

And finally... 16 bit installers or programs will not run on the 64bit codebase.

I did not realize the OP was using an Atom CPU. I didn't see it in the first post.

It's possible, but not stated. The point was more about memory limits. On machines with less than 4gb ram, upgrading is the best choice, unless you can't... then you go x86.

Sorry if I cause a bit of confusion, that wasn't the intent. I was simply trying to clarify why someone might want the x86 codebase.

Back