Windows Vista Can I install Windows 7 on My PC Where I am Using Vista?

Techguy093

Hi, please help me. I want to install windows 7 in my computer. I am Currently using vista on my pc.

My pc configuration is

Processor : Core to Dual 2.53 MHZ

Memore : 3 GB of Ram

Nvidia VGA Graphics Card

160 GB of HDD

I already tried Link Removed - Invalid URL they claim to install windows 7 from me. But first i want to confirm is it possible to install windows 7 on my pc or not?

Dude great question. You can totally do it! That's what I did already. I'm actually dual-booting Vista Home Premium 64bit and W7 Professional 64bit. This means that I can actively use both by means of a restart. Best of both worlds ^^

I would take some precautions though (just in case). Not that anything went wrong with the installation and I am able to get into both OS's, but ... better safe than sorry.

If you want to dual boot it's pretty easy. There are a lot of sites out there teaching you about partitions and since you have Vista you can do it without extra software. (Hint* look for the phrases "Partitioning my hard drive" and "Shrinking" -- Once you've made the partition it is only a matter of installing on that drive rather than on your C: drive) If you want more help just write up again on this forum or email me at [email protected]

Have fun!

Good answer from Blu. the alternative is to replace Vista with Windows 7 which is what I have done very successfully

Hello friend.....
you can surely install window 7 on your PC. It doesn't matter what operating system you are using before. You have to take little precautions while installing new window because it may be possible that your existing window get damaged. And 1 thing more you have to add more hard disk as it is only 160GB which is not sufficient for having 2 windows at same time.....

I did my installation somewhat differently. I have 2 internal disks. One is the HDD with vista, the other one was an SSD that was completely empty. I disconnected the HDD and installed W7 on the SSD (super fast). I now switch between the 2 systems with the boot sequence in the BIOS. The advantage of this setup is that I do not have a to worry about the bootrecords when I uninstall or reinstall one of the systems.

WHS,
How you getting on with the SSD. I am interested to hear about SSDs before buying one.

WHS,
How you getting on with the SSD. I am interested to hear about SSDs before buying one.

I'll post a um simple review when I get it ASAP. Friday is when I'll be able to start using it because I'm still at school atm. xD Darn!

Just FYI, I bought the OCZ Solid Series 60 GB for $112.50 (After tax $122)

Hey Do you know if I can copy my whole OS with everything in it to my new SSD? I've been wondering about that because it would save me a lot of time. (rather than backing the whole system up and then restoring it)

Hey Do you know if I can copy my whole OS with everything in it to my new SSD? I've been wondering about that because it would save me a lot of time. (rather than backing the whole system up and then restoring it)

Well yes, you can..... you would use a program like Acronis and make an image of your old HDD and then restore that image to the new drive. This is the easiest way.

There is a relative free way,,, but more complicated and needs either BartPE with DIXML plug-in and a third drive, or a second PC with DIXML. but now I am speaking voodoo, I know.

No, you can not just copy the one drive to the other. Your Old HDD needs to be taken offline anyway, so you would still need a second PC to do that. But it still won't work.

Last edited:
Hey Guys,

So I decided to just try a clean install on my SSD and it worked like a charm. I activated the software with the same key I used on my "hard drive" version. Now I'm going to be able to transfer slowly from my harddrive to my SSD yay! ^^

~BluCreator

Hi, please help me. I want to install windows 7 in my computer. I am Currently using vista on my pc.]

I have images of all of my computers so I went against all the recommendations and upgraded Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Ultimate. Smooth as silk & of course all my tweaks came across too. Note my data is all on a separate drive both for ease of backing up & so I can blow away [reinstall] the OS without any data loss. ;)

Don't try this if you don't have verified backup images first though!

My daughter's XP Pro -> Vista Ultimate -> Windows 7 Premium may be okay, however, I also changed motherboards & the Vista Ultimate is OEM so I couldn't activate it of course. Currently doing a clean install for her with a breadboard heap of parts next to this computer. Using a KVM USB switch to connect the two computers whilst testing.

Back