Windows 10 Can I transfer windows 10 from one laptop to another if it came pre installed? (OEM)

digiman2372

Hello all, I have a laptop that came with windows 10 preinstalled. The issue is that this laptop is painfully slow, so I would like to transfer windows 10 from this laptop to another laptop that I have which only has abuntu installed on it. Is this possible? If it is not, I was thinking of buying windows 7 for the laptop that has abuntu installed on it, but the CD drive does not work. would there be a way to install windows 7 on it if the CD drive does not work? thank you in advance!

Same answer for all Windows versions. Has to be a retail license to be able to transfer it. If you have a Windows 7 retail license it would work to activate a copy of Windows 10. Microsoft upgraded all existing Windows 7 licenses to Windows 10 licenses.

If I buy a windows 7 installation CD from the store, does a retail license come with it? In other words, will there be a retail license number written in the box somewhere? or will I have to insert the CD into the CD drive to get the retail number?

Windows 7 is end of life so doubt you'll find a copy in a store, but you may be able to find some online. Make sure it states retail license.

Back
Top Bottom