Windows 10 Can I upgrade to 10 directly from 8? (Ie. not from 8.1)

Ozymandsss

So I have never been able to successfully upgrade from 8 to 8.1 despite multiple attempts at trouble shooting. Every time I install it via the windows store, there is an installation failure that takes place right at the end of the installation.

So I have just made due with the factory installation of windows 8 for several years but now that 10 is out, I would like to skip 8.1 and upgrade to 10. Is that possible? How do I go about doing that?

Hi,
unfortunately both Windows 7 and Windows 8 must be updated fully for the upgrade to work. That means Windows 7 has to be running SP1 and Windows 8 has to be upgraded to 8.1:

If your version is Windows 8, you need to do the free update to Windows 8.1 to be eligible for the Windows 10 upgrade. Instructions for upgrading to Windows 8.1 can be found at:Update to Windows 8.1: FAQ - Windows Help
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/3081048

The above obviously only applies if your wanting to upgrade to Windows 10 for free. If you bought a full copy then of course you could perform a clean install and not have to worry about updating windows 8.

Back
Top Bottom