Windows 7 Can Install 32-bit But Not 64-bit?

NicciAdonai

Recently a power surge did something funny to my computer. Everything pointed to drive corruption, so I bought a 1TB drive to replace my 2x160GB RAID 0 array. Now I can install the 32-bit version with seemingly no problems but not the 64-bit. I usually get a BSOD but sometimes I get an error message that tells me a file is corrupt. I'm thinking maybe my DVD drive was affected in some strange way so I will try doing a USB install, but if anyone has any ideas I would much appreciate the help.

Further information:
- Used to have my CPU OCed but now the BIOS is set to fail-safe defaults except that I changed to "Raid Mode" from IDE to - AHCI (tried in IDE as well).
- 8GB RAM which I already tested with the Win7 tool.
- No SMART errors on boot.
- The install DVD has absolutely no discernible scratches that I could detect.

The fact you are considering a USB install indicates you are working with a downloaded ISO. You might try redownloading your ISO but more likely the problem can be resolved by a slower X2-X4 burn of your DVD Disk.

Recently a power surge did something funny to my computer. Everything pointed to drive corruption, so I bought a 1TB drive to replace my 2x160GB RAID 0 array. Now I can install the 32-bit version with seemingly no problems but not the 64-bit. I usually get a BSOD but sometimes I get an error message that tells me a file is corrupt. I'm thinking maybe my DVD drive was affected in some strange way so I will try doing a USB install, but if anyone has any ideas I would much appreciate the help.

Further information:
- Used to have my CPU OCed but now the BIOS is set to fail-safe defaults except that I changed to "Raid Mode" from IDE to - AHCI (tried in IDE as well).
- 8GB RAM which I already tested with the Win7 tool.
- No SMART errors on boot.
- The install DVD has absolutely no discernible scratches that I could detect.

Tried USB with same result. Also tried Vista x64 with very similar results. At this point I am assuming that at least one of the four cores of my Q6600 has one or more bad registers (<-- I think that's what they are called) on the 32+ side. If anyone has any other ideas please let me know. Otherwise I need to live with 32-bit (and thus 3.25 GB RAM out of 8) until I get my house.

have you formatted the HDD after resetting the bios to fail-safe? better do that....or the oc will continue to haunt you!
your problem might be bad ram in the upper address space

test ram with memtest86+ boot from floppy

I formatted/repartitioned just about every time I installed. It doesn't seem like a RAM problem, but if it were then I should be able to test that simply by using one stick at a time in 32-bit Win 7. Might do that, even though the Windows memory test returned absolutely no errors after two passes. No floppy drive btw. I guess I could do Memtest86 off of a USB stick.

you probably have all 4 ram slots filled?

This can cause timing problems you never saw under x86 but pop up in 64 bit due to utilising full ram. So better have your ram checked properly.

Back