Can not update Windows or CIS 4

Hi,

Im running Windows 7 student x64. When I go to Windows Update it takes a long time to load,once it does it shows a red shield with an x and says 'check for updates for your computer' and below this it says 'Find out more about free software from (null). click here for more details.' when I click it nothing happens. When I click the check for updats box a window comes up that says 'Windows Update cannot currently check for updates, because this service is not running. You may need to restart your computer.' I tried restarting and the same thing happens.

Also, when I use the antivirus update within Comodo Internet Security 4 it says failed to retrieve update. check your internet connection and try again.

Mitchell_A

Essential Member
Welcome to the Windows 7 Forums :)
This sounds like it could be a virus, install Malwarebytes and update, do a quick scan.

Along with that, run command prompt as an admin, and type in "sfc /scannow" ;)

A few days ago Windows Defender detected a suspicious file. I uploaded it to comodo for analysis and it came back as suspicious. I hit quarantine in Windows Defender. The file is no longer on my system it looks like but the Windows Defender quarantine is empty. I just ran Spybot S&D and it detected Virtumonde.sdn Trojan C-04 and said it cleaned it. I have also run Avast, Comodo, Ad-Aware, Malwarebytes, Superantispyware, and A-squared and Threatfire. None of these have detected anything. I also made a linux partition and ran a scan on windows from the linux partition with bitdefender which found no infected files. I used ClamAV as well and while it reported some things they were mainly all a part of Comodo so I assumed they were false positives. i'll give sfc /scannow a try.

Mitchell_A

Essential Member
Keep me posted :)

It says it did not find any integrity violations.

Mitchell_A

Essential Member
Was this a clean install of Windows 7, or an upgrade from Vista?

It was an upgrade from Vista. I have been using it without problem though for months. I'm considering using Dariks Boot and Nuke and reinstalling but I really dont want to until I find out more about what's causing this.

I just did a scan with Sophos AntiRootkit and it detected 2 hidden .exe files that are unknown.

Mitchell_A

Essential Member
Just because this was an upgrade, I'd re-install.
A great thing you might not have known about re-installing:
You don't have to reformat your HDD. You can simply select the drive you want to install to, and Windows will put your old installation in a folder named "Windows.old" where you'll still be able to access and copy over all your personal files, unfortunately you will have to reinstall your programs.

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.