Windows 7 Can you relocate desktop

prroots

I've partitioned my disk into C: for OS and Programs and E: for Data. I'd like my Desktop to live in E: instead of C:. Is that possible? Thanks
Pete

I'd like my Desktop to live in E: instead of C

Steps:

1. Navigate to E: and create your desktop folder there, e.g. E:\Desktop

2. Open the Start Menu > type shell:UsersFilesFolder
This will open your user profile's folder

3. Right click on Desktop in your profile on disc C > Properties > Location Tab > Move button > Specify your new folder e. g. E:\Desktop

4. Click Yes

I got so excited about the possibilities that I decided to relocate:
C:\Users\User name\AppData\Local to E: also. This is where the profiles and log files for my backup program SyncBackSE are stored and I prefer to have it on E:\. Several log files didn't move and it gave an error message that operation was canceled by User. Now when I do properties the Location tab does not show? What gives?

Attention:

Create a restore point

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Changing the location of a user's profile involves editing registry under:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList.

you need to change the value of the Default, Public, Profile Directory keys to the new location accordingly.

No, I used the above instructions: "Properties > Location Tab > Move button > Specify your new folder". I did not edit Registry. Once I accomplished this, all the affected applications worked except SyncBackSE. When I invoked this program the screen greyed out and froze. Ctrl-Alt-Del restored it. I wonder if this application is hardwired to C:\ which might explain it's behavior once its profile was relocated to E:\.

After reading the second article, it would appear that's a much more drastic step, but something I should probably do for the future. My initial goal was to move just a small portion of a user profile rather than the entire profile. I guess that moving the whole profile makes sense, but as the article states, it should be done as early as possible after installing the OS (eg prior to installing any apps). This is easy for me since I backup system as I go using Acronis True Image. I would appreciate any comments as to the pros and cons of taking this drastic step. Thanks
Pete

I've tried the procedure according to the 2nd article and have a few issues.

First, when I initially install Windows 7, an administrative account gets created. I'm assuming that account always remains on C:\. Is that correct? I also assume that the accounts that are relocated are only new accounts that I create after the OS installation, correct?

Secondly, I followed the article precisely, but when I attempt to log onto the newly created administrative account, I get the following error message:
The User Profile Service failed the login
User Profile cannot be created

I've actually tried several times (after restoring from a backup that immediately followed Windows 7 install minus any apps), but always get the above error message.

Back