Windows 7 Cannot access NAS

Arion

Hi, I've installed Windows 7, is nice I must say but there is a problem I cannot access a NAS that is attached to my network.

I have configured Windows 7 for be inside the correct workgroup and activated some stuff in the panel for access remote files, but every time that I try to connect to the NAS I get an error 1208. The NAS is a NexStar LX

Any help?

Did you find a solution as i also have the same problem!

Wow, this is a serious problem!

I have searched and searched the Microsoft site and no support whatsoever!

I have tried both wired and wireless connectivity to my NAS and nothing!!

The message i get is either network error (1208)

or

RPC Error you do not have permission to connect to this network etc!!

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

2 days searching now, surely someone knows what causes this??

Last edited:
have you tried making your network a home network instead of a public or work one?

also could try disabling homegroup.

Still can not access my NAS with Windows 7

Hello, has anyone found a solution to this problem. I have not been able to access my NAS with Windows 7. I can log into the NAS with a browser, but can not access the files through explorer. I can see it on the network but when I try to access it I get that I do not have permissions for this device. There is no restrictions for accessing this NAS, I can access it with my Vista computers, and when I use this computer (it is dual boot Vista/7) with Vista I can access the drive.
Anyone have a idea? Please help or I am forced to skip Windows 7 altogether. :(

on one of your other machines, right click a folder on the nas and select properties, select the security tab and see what permissions are set on the folder, (you might need to connect it directly to your machine for this) try and add an entry for the user 'everyone' with everything ticked, apply that, then (after it has finished propagating the change) remove the other entries (this will take some time to update everything on the device). now reconnect it to the network and try accessing it with the windows 7 machine.

are you mapping the drive(s) first? i have a NAS set up to my Windows 7 machine (and Vista machines) and it works, no problem. just need to map it first.

on one of your other machines, right click a folder on the nas and select properties, select the security tab and see what permissions are set on the folder, (you might need to connect it directly to your machine for this) try and add an entry for the user 'everyone' with everything ticked, apply that, then (after it has finished propagating the change) remove the other entries (this will take some time to update everything on the device). now reconnect it to the network and try accessing it with the windows 7 machine.
Hi NORCROSS
I tried that as you suggested but still not able to access the drive. It does not let me access the drive itself before I get the 1208 error. I can see it in the Explorer window but as soon as I click on the drive I get the 1208 error.

Try upgrading the security on the NAS if you can. I was having trouble with my SMB shares untill I raised the security to include password encryption. If you can't up the server's security, you can down grade windows' through the local security policies.

Local Policies > Security Options >

1. Network Security: LAN Manager Authentication Level > Send LM & NTLM responses (Win95/98 level)
Send NTLM responses only (early Win NT/XP level)

2. Network Security: Minimum security for NTLM SSP based servers/clients > Uncheck both options

I have found a temp soloution,

I have two NAS boxes on my network and have just installed windows7 on my test machine and was annoyed to find that i couldn't access either boxes,

I kept getting RPC error,

I still can't access the root of the nas boxes but i can access the shares, i have done the local policies trick above and now i can access the shares if i type the address in a address bar

eg:

\\nas1\share1

that will allow me access to the share, i can also map the shares

I accesed my worldbook by maping the drive to the ip address (192.168.0.3/public)

It works fine.

Rgards

Basher

Hello, has anyone found a solution to this problem. I have not been able to access my NAS with Windows 7. I can log into the NAS with a browser, but can not access the files through explorer. I can see it on the network but when I try to access it I get that I do not have permissions for this device. There is no restrictions for accessing this NAS, I can access it with my Vista computers, and when I use this computer (it is dual boot Vista/7) with Vista I can access the drive.
Anyone have a idea? Please help or I am forced to skip Windows 7 altogether. :(

I cannot access may NAS either. They are Windows Shares that my XP partition can see and map to, same with my Linux box. Windows 7 throws the error, "The Mapped network drive could not be created because the following error occurred: More data is available." when I try to map the drives via hostname or ip.

If I try and access the NAS under the Network folder I get the error: Windows cannot access \\NAS Check the speeling of the name. Otherwise there might be a problem..." Error code 0x80070035 The network path was not found."

Like I said, XP and Ubuntu connect to them fine, just Windows 7 has the issue. I tried the Security tweak above to no avail.

Anyone other ideas?

I gave up, maybe looking to go to Linux

I have tried everything, but if the network will not attempt to access the network drive then this OS is impossible for me to use. I have tried mapping the drive, but you can not map the drive if you can not access it. I have tried to lower the security level in Windows 7 andf that does not work, and I can not upgrade the security in the NAS as there is no option for that. Seems like Windows is taking one step forward and 3 steps back.

Tried that too

Hello, yes I have tried on the latest version out and still can not access the NAS.

Hi, I've installed Windows 7, is nice I must say but there is a problem I cannot access a NAS that is attached to my network.

I have configured Windows 7 for be inside the correct workgroup and activated some stuff in the panel for access remote files, but every time that I try to connect to the NAS I get an error 1208. The NAS is a NexStar LX

Any help?

Don't you need a driver installed in Windows 7 Beta for your NexStar for Windows 7 PC to access the Storage? Isn't it like any other network share ( example a network Printer) . Do you need at least VISTA compatible driver for it to be 'recognized' by your Windows 7 Beta PC? Are other "Non -Windows 7 PCS " in your network able to access the NAS drive? Did you try to directly connect the device (via USB) to your Win 7 PC to see what happens? I am just posing these questions only for my own information as I don't have an active NAS in my home network of Windows 2000 SP4, Windows XP Pro SP3, Linux ( PC Linux OS 2009) and Win 7 Beta -64 Build 7042 .

NAS access problems

I too am still having problems with accessing my NAS. I have tried from the time Microsoft had released their first Beta to the world. I get the following error:
\\STORAGE-0382 is not accessible, You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if yu have access permissions.
Network error (1208)
I can access the WEB interface of the NAS, but i can not access any of the files. I have tried to connedt the NAS via USB to my Vista and change the permission. Here is the information from the Ststus Page of the NAS. Please, can anyone shed some light on how to access this via Windows 7? The new OS will not be much good if I can not access my stored files.

Make: ARMOR Series Hard Drive Enclosure
SYSTEM INFORMATION
Host Naame: STORAGE-0382
Group name: WORKGROUP
Adminstrator: admin
Date/Time: 2009/03/09 07:03:13 GMT8
Language: English
Firmware Version: NAS-BASIC48, LOADER 69
NETWORK INFORMATION
IP Address; 192.168.10.101
MAC Address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
DHCP Server: Disable
DISK INFORMATION
Model: SAMSUNG HD103UJ
[FW; 1AA01113]

I was having issues with the NAS however if you type the address manually "\\nas1\share1" like XcCOM suggested I am able to access the folder.

I think this is because of the the NAS system structure (ie even in xp I could never see the NAS but only its shared folders) and something that Windows 7 handles differently, i think it treats it like a computer when technically it isnt.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom