Windows 7 Cannot Boot Windows - Keeps Restarting

Impossible

Hi guys,

I recently upgraded our old computer from Windows XP to Windows 7 Professional. It wouldn't boot from the CD to install for some strange reason so I put the hard drive in my computer and installed it from there. After it installed, I put the HDD back into the old computer and tried to boot it. Everything works fine until it says "Starting Windows". After displaying that message for about 5 seconds it restarts and brings up the choice:
  • Run diagnostics (recommended)
  • Start Windows normally
If I choose to start normally, the same thing happens and it restarts again. If I run diagnostics it says the issue cannot be automatically repaired.

The strange thing is that it will boot perfectly fine on my computer (if I put the HDD in), but cannot boot on the old one. Also, the same Windows 7 works on my computer.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Impossible

It is 32-bit, I am 100% sure. Although, the computer doesn't have a graphics card. It wouldn't need one to boot Windows, would it? Other than that the computer does meet and exceed the minimum requirements.

Thanks!

Windows is well known for refusing to boot, even if a graphics driver is absent, let alone the hardware, that might be an issue.

Last edited:
Try putting in a graphics card, if you have one available, just to make sure. If it isn't the graphics card, it may be a driver issue with another piece of hardware.

I put a graphics card in an started up. The same thing happened! Tomorrow I will disable automatic restart to check if there is a blue screen and what the error code is.

Thanks for your help!

Good idea, we know that it's not a software issue, because you said it worked on another piece of hardware. If I were you, I'd plug the hard drive into the other computer, and install all the drivers for the computer that isn't letting Windows boot. Does it get as far as to allow you to boot in Safe Mode?

No, the same thing happens when booting in Safe Mode. I plugged the HDD into my computer and installed my graphics card's driver. I then put then HDD back into the old PC WITH my graphics card. But there was still no difference so it is not the graphics. What other drivers would I need to install? The only driver on the HDD so far is the graphics card: HD5670.

Here is the BSoD that pops up when automatic restart is disabled:

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd417/Mr_Bean987/Random Photos/BSoD.jpg
BSoD.jpg

I am unable to deduce anything from it, although I'm not too good with this stuff.

Last edited:
The bug check code is INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE check this Microsoft site for information and possible solutions.

If you need help with some of the information or procedures, or find more info, let us know.

It seems to be saying putting a drive in another computer is probably causing your problem. Using a different controller for a drive can have all types of different bad consequences.

The fact you could not install on the drive originally means something about the system and Windows 7. Maybe there is some driver you need to load during the install, but I can't tell.

When you tried to install Windows 7 in that computer, using that drive, what happened?

It picked up the drive in the BIOS. But when it came to the "Where do you wan to install Windows" step, it couldn't find any drives. I've been trying to locate a driver for it for Windows 7, but have had no luck so far.

Is this a SATA drive, the one in your specs? If not, do you have the jumper set for it to be Master, or removed if it is a Western Digital drive?

If it is the 1TB drive, have you tried using a smaller partition, like 80 gigs to install? You might need to format it on the new computer, or perhaps you need a bios update for your older system.

Do you have the controller for that type of drive turned on in your bios?

The hard drive I am trying to use in the old computer is a Western Digital WD3200JD-22KLB0. It is SATA I and is 320GB. The BIOS settings I have restored to defaults. The hard drive should work because it worked fine with Windows XP installed.

Back