Windows 7 Cannot connect to Network

KKPAC

Help! I cannot seem to be able to connect to my desktop with a laptop (both with 7)

how do I find out my network password? or is there some other way to connect?

I have been able to connect two PC's before with my friends Vista laptop and we usually just match up ip addresses and he puts in the network password and it works.

I did the same thing with the windows 7 laptop and i can get to the network password stage, at which I do not know the password. All I know is that it isn't my log in password, my laptop's log in password, or my friends laptop password.

So my question is, how do I find out my network password? or is there some other way to connect?

Win 7 does a Homegroup, where one computer is the host and the other has to join that group. Is that what you are doing, or just normal sharing? The password from this situation comes from the host computer.

Are both computers in the same workgroup? Do they both have the same LAN address?

Normal sharing just plug in
I usually just make the same LAN address (i assume you mean ip, subnet mask,dns etc) and im not sure what you mean by workgroup, but i don't think so.

If you hit Winkey + Pause or go to control Panel, System, you will see the workgroup listed. If that is the same for both systems, it will make a connection easier. You can change those settings in that dialog box.

If not, you may be able to open explorer and check the network option. Perhaps the other computer will show there.

Well, you need to decide if you are using a homegroup. The Homegroup password is available in the Network and Sharing center on the host computer. If it is something else, I do not know.

What do you show on the Network and Sharing Center on the Homegroup line, ready to join or Ready to Create?

If none of this works, you might check the Network and Sharing Center - Advanced Sharing Settings and check those options.

Thanks for the help, I'll just make a Homegroup then and post back if I encounter any problems.

I can't take files from my laptop, only the laptop can take from me, help?

Could not make a Homegroup, don't know why (sorry), but I did manage to create a network between my laptop and desktop, I can now play games with it and the laptop can take files from me.

I bypassed the password/credentials system by logging in as me to my desktop (rather than the laptops login name and password i used mine) and it worked fine HOWEVER i cant take files from the laptop, on the laptop can take from me, any suggestions?

You should be able to create a Homegroup, but some Win 7 versions can only join and not create one. I do not remember which ones are involved.

There are many settings in the Network and Sharing Center regarding networking. If you go to the Change Advanced Sharing Settings, you might go through what you have selected. Or choose Homegroup and sharing options.

Back