Windows 7 Cannot drag/pin some programs to Taskbar

pstein

Extraordinary Member
Much to my surprise I cannot drag some *.exe programs to Taskbar/Quick launch Bar.
For other programs it works.

After releasing the mouse button with the dragged *.exe over Taskbar the icon is NOT added.

Even if I press the shift button it does not work.

How can I add/pin really all prgms to TaskBar?

Peter

Try this I can't find the actual link but this is what I did. There also is another more involved way to do this.
1. Right-click on the taskbar and choose Toolbars > New Toolbar
2. The new dialogue box will ask you to select a folder to be the new toolbar. You create a new folder (in the Libraries area, or on your C: drive root) and name it Quicklaunch.
3. Change the setting (remove text etc)
4. For any programs you want in the Quicklaunch bar, create shortcuts to those programs in your new Quicklaunch folder (wherever you created it) and they will appear in your Quicklunch toolbar.
Note: You won’t be able to click on this new tool bar until you put at least one shortcut into the folder.
Joe

Try this I can't find the actual link but this is what I did. There also is another more involved way to do this.

This path will go right to it

The Quick Launch folder is located at the hidden system folder location (step 2) of:
C:\Users\(user-name)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch

Add Quick Launch
1. Right click on a empty space on the taskbar, then select (hover on) Taskbar and click on New Toolbar.
2. In the Folder line, type or copy and paste the location below.
Code: %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch
3. Click on the Select Folder button.
4. You now have a Quick Launch toolbar on the taskbar.
5. To Expand the Quick Launch Toolbar
A) Unlock the taskbar.
B) Left click on the dotted lines and hold, then drag it to the left or right to adjust to unhide all of the icons. Release the left click when done. Then you can right click on it and select open folder and make a shortcut to anything. its the old school quick launch

Much to my surprise I cannot drag some *.exe programs to Taskbar
What are the name of the programs ? Because some names are not allowed to pin to taskbar; e.g. Help.exe, Install.exe, Readme.exe, Setup.exe. And combination of these names like "Marc Phelps.exe".

Back