Windows Vista Cannot install Internet Explorer

fasta6

I have Windows 7 RC installed on my laptop. When I upgraded from Vista, IE8 was included in the install. IE started to act up, would not start, etc. I uninstalled it and now I can't reinstall it. I have tried IE8, 7, & 6. They all say the same thing when I try to install them, "This version of Internet Explorer is not compatible with this version of operating system". Microsoft doesn't make a version of IE that is compatible with their own OS?

Any ideas? I usually use Firefox, but I need IE for some programs at work.

Thanks.

Have you tried the Control Panel - Programs and Features and, then, over on the left, "Turn Windows features on and off"? The option is in the drop down menu to turn it on.

Have you tried the Control Panel - Programs and Features and, then, over on the left, "Turn Windows features on and off"? The option is in the drop down menu to turn it on.

Great call !

can also click start and type "fe" and pick it from the menu.

The only IE 8 that will install in Windows 7 RC is the one that came with it. None of the versions that are downloaded will work. Did you go to programs and features and select turn Windows features on or off and recheck the IE 8 box?

Edit:
Missed your response RAK.

I've tried that

I've tried that and it looks like it's installed but it will not run. I will start but never load a page.

firefox works fine

Firefox works fine, no other problems. But I need IE to run some online programs at work.

Have you tried Compatibly mode under Page ? Compatibility View Settings

You might also want to check Internet Explorer Options under the General tab and browsing history. If you have a high speed connection droop it down to 50MB. Also change the number of days of history to about 3.

Then run CCleaner
http://www.ccleaner.com/download and run the Windows section and uncheck anything you want to keep.

I just ran CCleaner and pt removed 148MB of useless files.

Do you need to open PDF fies?

Last edited:
Try this.
Open the Control panel (icon view)
Open Network and sharing centre.
Click "connections" This will vary from different computers. I am on wireless - mine says "Wireless Network connection" and my name.

Click properties. (At the bottom of the window)
Click "Internet protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPV4) and select properties, bottom right.

Make sure you have it set to "Obtain an IP address automatically"

Dhcp

I know I've got it set for DHCP. I have the IE Tab add-on installed in Firefox and I can run the programs with that. However, I like to tinker with things and know how they work and it seems that there has to be a way to make IE work in Windows 7. Otherwise, the guys in Redmond have really hosed this one up.

I can't be the only one out there who has this issue.

"I can't be the only one out there who has this issue. " lol almost seems like it.
But, reading back through your posts. How did you uninstall it? Your earlier post)

OK. Revo does the job but it is a bit like slicing bread with a chain saw. It also removes all reg enties, which may be your proble.

After an program is, by Revo, removed with "Remove Entry" command, a backup Registry file (*.reg) is made in a subdirectory - BackUps of your Revo uninstaller directory. The name of this backup file is the name of the deleted entry and a specified number. Double click on that file to recover deleted information in the Registry. Then try, if IE8 is still not available, the step in posts above.

Revo uninstaller

I don't see any uninstall backups in the VSRevo directory, just program files and shortcuts.

Ie8

I've tried that one, it seems to install fine, but when I open it, it never loads a page. It just hangs up.

Is there any way to reinstall IE from my Win 7 upgrade disk?

Back
Top Bottom