Windows Vista Cannot join Vista to Windows 2003 domain

U

Unregistered

Hello,

when I try and join to the 2003 domain I get the following error

"An attempt to resolve the DNS name of a DC in the domain being joined has failed. Please verify this client is configured to reach a DNS server that can resolve DNS names in the target domain"

Any ideas?

Thanks

Same problem

Got the same error aswell.
Please do answer if you know anything about this.

open up dos and type in 'ipconfig /renew' to renew your IP. Also, check your TCP/IP network settings and see if there are any DNS's listed, if so just wipe 'em out. Thats the first thing I would do.

I had the IP v4 settings set to auto for IP and DNS. This got the entries from my DHCP, which has the DNS server for my internet provider first and my server second. I changed it from auto to have my server listed as the one and only DNS server. I then repaired the connection and was able to join the domain.

disbale ip ver6
in ipv4 enable the dns , give your domain ip address as dns server.

restart the computer.....
\

thanks

Ad just had the same problem with joining a Vista computer to 2003 server, but it solved the problem when I changed the DNS to my server IP, so now I network i working fine, but I still cannot access the internet from the Vista computer. The server is connected to internet via ADSL, and works fine, any suggestions

Thanks
Martin

point your vista machine to your server for DNS and make sure your server is set up as a DNS server. Alternatively you can put a root server as your secondary DNS so it resolves your server first and then goes out to the net. use (4.2.2.2)

It could be a DNS problem rather than a vista one. If you are running 2003 server R2 (or really any version) and server is configured to be Domain Controller, DNS Server and Active Directory is setup If you delete the forward lookup zone only, reboot re-create forward lookupzone, reboot again then try and join client to the domain. If this does not work I would still consider it to be a DNS problem and keep digging into the event logs to find the problem.

Hope this works for you, it did for me...

I had a similar problem, and resolved it by pointing the DNS, under network properties, to the IP address of the domain controller and also cleared IPv6

My Windows Vista tells me that Vista Home cannot join a domain!!

i have 8 computers in a workgroup. Some are XP and some are Vista. I guess I will only be able to join the XP's to th e domain.

The problem is My XP clients can ping my Domain Controller's IP address but they do not recognize the domain name or the computer name of the domain controller.

In Vista (client machine), uncheck the IPv6 box in LAN Status box and set WINS to Enable Netbios over TCP/IP. Try to connect to domain again.
Another thing to try::
Go to the properties of network adapter
on client, choose ipv4 properties, add the internal addie of the DC t
the DNS and WINS server fields, located in advanced properties.
run "nslookup domainname" from client to be sure it resolves.

Unchecking the IPv6 worked for me. I unjoined the computer from the domain even though it wasn't showing up as being on the domain. Do not reboot. Rejoin to the domain. Reboot. -- Works Great ---

I can join Vista to a domain ONLY as administrator of the domain.
Well, I don't know why I can join the domain as a user.
As soon as I change it from administrator of the domain and log on as a user, ut doesn't allow me to enter,
An Interactive error has occured -----
Can somebody help me with this? Please
Thanks

I can join Vista to a domain ONLY as administrator of the domain.
Well, I don't know why I can't join the domain as a user.
As soon as I change it from administrator of the domain and log on as a user, ut doesn't allow me to enter,
An Interactive error has occured -----
Can somebody help me with this? Please
Thanks

First of all, Windows vista home will not let you join a domain b/c its not designed for domains. Second, if you are the administrator of the domain, you can log into Vista as a user but when you try to join to the domain, you will have to enter your Administrator credentials or the credentials of a user with admin rights. Windows XP and Vista (business class) are very DNS specific and will freak out if you don't have the proper DNS Server associated with the machine. Be sure that you have the Active Directory Domain controller listed in the network properties of the client machine as the dns server. Also be sure that you can ping the AD server as well. If you can, you shouldn't have a problem.

If you need more help with that, feel free to email me.
[email protected]
Thanks,
Chan Heard

I used to say Microsoft Rocks - Now I just say Microsoft is a Bag of Rocks!

Why would anyone design an OS that has these flaws.

So, I am having the same problem; "Cannot join Vista Ultimate to Windows 2003 domain." Unfortunately, when I try pointing DNS to the domain server and reboot the W/S - I lose connectivity to the internet. I disabled IP6 on the W/S as well.

My Domain design.

1 Domain Server
1 DNS & WINS Server
1 Web Server

I NEVER had this problem with XP. Does anyone have a solution? Please???

Thank you in advance!

Back
Top Bottom