Windows 10 Cannot transfer iso file

Tim352

I have some ISO files on a CD that I want to transfer to my computer, but they always fail after getting to about 14%. It seems to be transferring just fine, but once it gets to 14% it just stops and the rate goes down to 0 bytes/s. I've tried changing security settings and I've tried copying to different parts of the computer (desktop, different folders, C Drive) but all with the same result. I have much more than enough memory on my hard drive, and the files are only about 500 KB each, but I can't transfer any of them.

? 500 kb each what iso is that and you more then enough memory do you mean hdd space ?
Oops. sorry, meant 500mb. I'm trying to get some older software to run, the ISOs are some older programs, but before I can start wprking on that, I need to transfer it to my hard drive so that I can mount them.

did you create this iso files

And by the way
Tim352

Welcome to the forum
Thanks! And no, they were downloaded. I had a friend download them onto a CD for me when I was over at his place. If needed I can ask him for the link, maybe try downloading them directly.

I totally understand but I need a little bit more info as to regard what should be in those ISOs how big this supposed to be, how were they created or with what software what operating system are you using, please give me a little more info as much as you can and yes it's probably best if you re download them directly yourself

Hi,
can you borrow another friend's computer or possible a University or library computer to transfer the ISO file? If it works on a different computer your PC may have it's MFT (Master File Table) corrupted and it needs service. We can assist with you that if you have some experience repairing your own computer. Post back and let us know. Also, please provide Make/Model of your computer. If you do not have this, go to piriform.com and download the Free SPECCY diagnostic and post the output .txt file here back to this thread and we can advise you further!

Best of luck to you,:encouragement:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Thanks everyone for your responses. I found a way around it eventually. Any time I tried to transfer it anywhere within my own computer, it wouldn't work. But I eventually uploaded it to my google drive and then redownloaded it onto my hard drive. Very indirect and weird way of repairing the problem, I know, but it worked. And I don't think it is the MFT because for the most part I don't have that problem, only with a few files. Does a corrupted MFT only affect some of the files?

You're welcome! Glad you found a workaround to your problem.:up: An ISO file that small (fits on a standard 700MB music CD size) not being able to transfer from made on a different computer than you were using indicates a serious problem with either the DVD/CD burner drive that created the CD or with the DVD/CD drive that's being used in your computer to read the CD disc. It could be that the source burner drive that created the CD has a dirty or dusty LED laser lens; that can be easily fixed by using a can of compressed air and blowing out the area on and around the laser lens, and then re-burn the CD ISO. Try to recopy it to your hard drive. If it fails again, as I said in my post above, take that CD and try to copy the CD ISO file on a known working computer you can borrow from a friend, University, or library. If the CD ISO file copies intact correctly on the borrowed computer; the source burner drive is working Ok, and the problem is within your computer.:( The problem could be that your DVD/CD burner drive LED laser lens could be dirty and not reading the source CD correctly. If that's the case, you need to repeat the cleaning procedure of your computer's burner drive laser lens as above. Repeat the copy test. If it works, you simply had a dirty LED lases lens on your computer's burner drive!:fdance:

If that last procedure failed to solve the copy problem, you most likely have a software problem with Windows corruption or a faulty or partially faulty hard drive. Since you already solved your problem with a workaround, you may just read this and not bother to go through all the proper troubleshooting steps listed here. However, I'm going to continue telling you what you would need to do to solve this problem as there may be other forum users with the same problem reading this.;)

The next thing I would suspect would be MFT corruption, and in answer to your questions, the MFT table CAN be partially corrupted in 2 ways. One is a software problem, and the other is a hardware problem (bad sectors on your hard drive). An easy way to approach this is to run a couple of built-in Windows PowerShell or DOS-style commands in an ADMIN-CMD Window, which can be gotten from the <Windows-logo-key + "R" key > on your keyboard, which generates the RUN command; right clicking on the Icon for CMD brings up the task menu and clicking on the
"RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR" option generates the PowerShell or DOS black and white pop-up screen you need to run repair commands. From this screen one needs to type C:> "chkdsk /r"
Everything in BOLD letters, no quotes is to be followed by the <Enter> key on the keyboard, this starts the command to run. This command will look at the MFT table and the hash tables and look for discrepancies in the indices that are on your hard drive. It runs several phases, usually 3 on a normal drive, but can be more on a damaged drive. This process can take from 2 hours up to 18 hrs. or more depending on the severity of damage to the indices and the capacity of the drive. A 3TB drive takes much longer to run than a 320GB drive for example. This command needs to be run to completion; a "Command completed Successfully" message is what you need to have before proceeding further.

After the chkdsk or Checkdisk command completes Ok, you need to bring up the ADMIN-CMD Window again, if your computer rebooted. If not, you now need to run the command: C:> "sfc /scannow" command. This is the SYSTEM FILE CHECKER repair, and it checks all the major System files in Windows against Master Copies of those files that are hidden are your hard drive. When bad System files are found the SFC command copies and overwrites any bad files found and puts the new copy in the missing or damaged file's place so that it is repaired. This process normally takes 5 phases; and can take even longer than the Chkdsk command. This command usually takes several hours to 12-30 hrs. again depending on the damage on the drive and the capacity of the drive, same as with the Chkdsk command. This command often needs to be run more than once, so many Users here skip doing this command. However, if you do run it, you need to keep running it until you get the same "Command completed Successfully" message you get from Chkdsk above. If you do, you can then reboot your Windows and retest your CD copy again. If the result works, then you fixed the problem. :up: If you didn't you very likely have faulty hardware and need to test your hardware as in the next section:waah:.

Testing your hardware after 1 or both of the above repairs failed usually indicates a faulty hard drive, and in some cases it can be a faulty RAM memory stick masquerading as a hard drive problem so you actually need to test both as here:

MEMORY TEST:
Memory Diagnostics

HARD DRIVE TEST:
Hard Drive Diagnostic Procedure

Note that in the Hard Drive test link above, if SEATOOLS or other manufacturer-branded hard drive diagnostic program listed for your kind and type of hard drive returns any errors, your hard drive is faulty and must be replaced! :waah: This will require a complete Windows reinstallation, so prior to replacing your hard drive you should make (burn) a set of factory Recovery Discs as provided by software built-in to your computer already on your computer. If you already have factory Recovery Discs or a built-in Recovery partition on your computer, which most modern computers have built in 2009 or later, you can skip that burning discs step.

If your Recovery Disc burning program is missing, or doesn't work, and you don't have your Recovery Discs, you can purchase them directly from your computer maker for $29-$99 US in most cases. These will usually ship to you in 2-3 weeks (in US only), and will usually be 1 or more DVD discs (can be as many as 12 DVD discs!) or 1 Flash Drive.

Post back here if you had to replace 1 or more RAM memory sticks or the hard drive and are looking at doing a Windows reinstallation as above and need step-by-step help; we can provide.:nerdie:

In most cases this troubleshooting methodology will produce a solution to your problem; but not in all cases. It is important for you or anyone else reading this thread to follow the steps given in order, being careful not to skip any steps. IMPORTANT NOTE: If you are unable to get either or both of the Windows repair commands (Chkdsk or SYSTEM FILE CHECKER repair) to run to completion; then it's highly likely you have failed hardware, and it's vital to run both the MEMTEST & SEATOOLS (or equivalent drive diagnostic for your specific hard drive) diagnostics to successful completion without either test returning any errors as in the link's instructions above. Any errors returned indicate faulty hardware components and each or all must be replaced before attempting Windows reinstallation from Recovery Disks/Stick/Partion.

Finally, this is for you Tim. If you read this far out of curiosity or have been attempting to run these tests, your workaround probably didn't solve your problem with the CD file copy. It's quite likely from the symptoms that if you can validate the proper functioning of the source CD on a different computer than yours, you most likely have Windows corruption you just haven't run into before or yet.:confused: If the Windows CMD repair tools don't fix it, then it's very likely you have a failed or failing RAM stick or Hard Drive and that must be tested, and if errors are found, replaced as mentioned.:waah: Failure to do this will very likely catch up to you when you are least prepared for it! :eek:

This is sort of like hearing a noise coming from under the hood of your car and just ignoring it, even though other people also hear the noise, and you just HOPE it will go away or fix itself. Computers like cars are complex technology, and very rarely if ever fix themselves!:noway: A word to the wise. FYI, this type of methodical troubleshooting and testing takes professional Techs (such as me) upwards of 30 hrs. to do; so you will need to be patient if you do intend to fix it yourself. If you take it to your local repair shop and have a licensed A+ computer Tech do it, you will be paying some money and expect it to take 1-2 weeks or more depending on their work backlog. In either case, whether you do it yourself or take it your local repair shop please ensure THAT ALL OF YOUR CRITICAL PERSONAL DATA ARE BACKED UP TO EXTERNAL MEDIA PRIOR TO STARTING YOUR TROUBLESHOOTING PROCESS BEGINNING WITH THE RUNNING OF THE WINDOWS CMD COMMANDS SHOWN ABOVE!!!

Best of luck to you,:encouragement:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Last edited:
Back