Cannot update Video Drivers past ATI 8.56.1.4

This is my first time posting but I've been fighting this issue since I installed Windows 7

After installing Win 7 I'm unable to use my TV (connected via S-Video) in addition to other periodic glitches. I've been trying to update to the latest ATI driver (9.3) however when trying to install the software I keep receiving the error "Failed to load detection driver" I've tried removing the drivers then reinstalling them during normal windows boot-up as well as safe mode, I've tried also installing C++ 2008 SP1 redistributable but had no luck with that either. I've exhausted about every troubleshooting method I can think of and am out of ideas, any help someone can provide would be appreciated.

Go to this folder (if you extracted the contents of the ATI file to the default location):

C:\ATI\Support\9_3_vista32_win7_32_dd_ccc_wdm_enu\Packages\Drivers\Display\LH_INF

Run the first of the .exe files in that folder, and it will install the drivers.

NOTE: You cannot install the drivers the 'normal' way through Device Management, and it didn't seem like the Catalyst installer did the job properly for me. So this was how I solved the install.

Go to this folder (if you extracted the contents of the ATI file to the default location):

C:\ATI\Support\9_3_vista32_win7_32_dd_ccc_wdm_enu\Packages\Drivers\Display\LH_INF

Run the first of the .exe files in that folder, and it will install the drivers.

Thanks for the input, however all I have are .msi files in that location, I even downloaded 9.2 and still only saw .msi files available. Do you have a location where you downloaded the package you have with the .exe's?

Ah, it was .msi files. I just have a habit of calling them .exe files. :p

Well regardless I'm being prompted to use the update manager to install the files, can't get around it really, any thoughts?

Nope, cannot get around the ATI installer. But did you try it, just running that .msi file through the ATI installer, like it tells you to? What happens?

Whenever the install manager comes into play the driver load errors out, I've tried selecting the both of the .inf files listed in that directory and see a list of ATI cards however my X1900 isn't listed in there

nitewulf

Honorable Member
This does indeed work by eiting the .inf file and following the procedure outlined in the link supplied by Novarro99.
I had the same isue and spent hours trying to get th driver installed in lieu of the update-supplied M/S driver for my X1950 Pro.

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.