Windows 7 Start Windows without ATI board drivers

titili75

Hello,

Since a few days, my laptop computer Acer Aspire 8920G of 2008 restarts in a loop after a few seconds (1 minute at the most).
On the other hand it manages to start in mode without failure and I can use it with all the limitations related to this mode.
I cleaned the ventilator so that it performs correctly its role of cooling of the processor and the graphics board (ATI).
I took the tests of the RAM, no problem was detected.
I changed the hard disk and tried to reinstall Windows, the installation is not possible because it restarts even before having ended (it is not thus a problem of hard disk).
I called the support of Acer, considering the symptom, they told me that it was very certainly the graphics board ATI which crashes when Windows loads the drivers of the card.
Unfortunately, the computer not being any more under guarantee for a long time, Acer wants to repair it any more.

Because the computer manages to start in mode without failure, I would like to continue to use it in the definition of this mode, that is there 800x600 but for it I have to manage to eliminate all the drivers related to the ATI board.
For that purpose, I tried several things:
I used all the possible options proposed by Windows in the starting up in mode without failure (F8):
- To register event of starting up in the newspaper " ntbtlog.txt " to see the last driver loaded, I well admit not to understand the contents of this file.
- To activate the low-resolution video (640x480), it restarts again after a few seconds
- Mode debugging, I did not well see what took place and it also restarted after a few seconds
I started it in mode without failure and deactivated the driver of the graphics board, that is not enough.

My questions:
Is it possible to start Windows 7 in "Normal" mode with the video driver of the mode "Without failure"?
Or then, it is possible to start Windows in "Normal" mode, step by step to determine the driver who makes it crash?
Otherwise, how identify the driver in cause and eliminate it so that Windows does not load it in the starting up?

Thank you for your help.

Hi,
I assume your also getting blue screens too? If so these can be configured to produce dump files. These are found in a folder marked 'minidump' in the main windows folder. If none are found or the folders missing then you'll need to change settings so that they are produced when you blue screen.
Open the run application.
Type sysdm.cpl in the run box and click ok.
Look across the top of the system properties box for 'Advanced' and click that.
Look for 'Startup and Recovery' near the bottom and click 'settings'.
Near the bottom you'll see a drop down menu under the heading 'write debugging information'.
In the drop down menu choose ' small memory dump (256KB)'
Under 'small dump directory' make sure it says %SystemRoot%\Minidump.
Click ok and your good to go.

We also have a thread which will help you collect the data we need:
How to ask for help with a BSOD problem

I tried to find your systems support page to see what the drivers were like. I'm pretty sure this is your machine:
Trusted Reviews
This is your support page:
Download Drivers and Manuals | Acer Official Site

I cannot find any ATI drivers. In fact every web page I've looked at to do with your machine say's it has an Nvidia graphics card not ATI.
driver.JPG

Try this, open the run app and type dxdiag and click ok. Please save the information and post the report.

Back