Windows Vista Cannot View Pictures/Video/Games

W

Wizzo

Hi :)

a few days ago i finally managed to get service pack 1 onto my computer (it always errors before it finished installing) and since then whenever i reboot i am faced with a black screen which i have found a way around but is still annoying all the same

the problem that's now being thrown at me is that i cannot view any pictures, video clip or even games installed on my comp that seemed to be working just fine before service pack 1 was installed
if i open a picture it will open it but will be blank, if i open a video clip it will be a black screen with audio but no picture and the same happens with games such as world of warcraft which loads as a black screen

is it the service pack? or is something else wrong as I've checked all my drivers are up to date and nothing seems to be showing as having a problem

my computer seems to be slowly trying to stop me using it :(

Hi wizzo,
Could you let us know how you installed the service pack.. Either by the update utility or the standalone version?
Secondly your machine specs may also be of some help..

hi, thanks

it updated through the windows updater

sorry the specs are

inspiron 531
AMD athlon 64 x2 duel core processor 5000+ 2.61GHz
NVIDIA Gforce 8300 GS
2GB ram
vista home premium

sorry if you need more info im a newb at this :D

You could try un-installing the service pack then installing using the standalone version.This creates less problems when installing and the link can be found in this forum under support.

Hi Wizzo

Yes............I would agree you should try what kemical & fatboy suggested.
Also if you have any spare cash I would recommend you upgrade that graphics card.
That 8300GS is at lower end of the scale of decent graphic cards and will stuggle with certain Vista features and most modern games.

Back