Windows 7 Cannot Wake Up From Sleep Mode

epheterson

I'm not sure what's going on here, I got sleep to work a few times on my Toshiba netbook, but suddenly no luck.

When I put it to sleep then press the space bar to wake it, the power light turns green but nothing happens. Not a blip from the hard drive, nothing but a black screen.

Anything I can try, short of a format?

Well short of wiggling the mouse or holding the power button for about 20 seconds....could remove the lappy's battery but as it's sleeping ya might get data damage...

Thank you, Highwayman, I'm aware of these options. A way to combat this is Hybrid Sleep, which sleeps and hibernates simultaneously, allowing me to restore after the forced-power down.

I'm looking more for options to make this work properly. Any push in the right direction is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hey Drew,

I'm running the RTM and it did work at one point, but stopped. I'm looking for a setting, or file that I can inspect to cure the problem.

If anybody finds this, I found a solution.

Seems the problem had to do with my MBR, which I'd have been messing with between XP, OS X and Ubuntu.

I've gone back to solely Windows7 and so, had to clear the Ubuntu GRUB boot loader, I used EasyBCD 1.7.2 to do this and now both sleep and hibernation work. Here are the steps to solving the problem my way.

1. Download & Install EasyBCD
  2. Run EasyBCD. On my first run, it said it found troubles with my bootloader and asked whether or not to fix them. I said 'Yes.' This may, or may not, happen for you.
  3. Click 'Manage Bootloader' button
  4. Ensure 'Reinstall Vista Bootloader' is selected, then click 'Write MBR'
  5. Rejoice!

The discovery was sort of a side effect of getting Ubuntu off. I didn't know this would fix the problem, I just realized that my computer had gone to sleep after I left it idle and woke up after I hit space. I was shocked!

Hope this helps somebody,
Eric

If anybody finds this, I found a solution.

Seems the problem had to do with my MBR, which I'd have been messing with between XP, OS X and Ubuntu.

I've gone back to solely Windows7 and so, had to clear the Ubuntu GRUB boot loader, I used EasyBCD 1.7.2 to do this and now both sleep and hibernation work. Here are the steps to solving the problem my way.

1. Download & Install EasyBCD
  2. Run EasyBCD. On my first run, it said it found troubles with my bootloader and asked whether or not to fix them. I said 'Yes.' This may, or may not, happen for you.
  3. Click 'Manage Bootloader' button
  4. Ensure 'Reinstall Vista Bootloader' is selected, then click 'Write MBR'
  5. Rejoice!

The discovery was sort of a side effect of getting Ubuntu off. I didn't know this would fix the problem, I just realized that my computer had gone to sleep after I left it idle and woke up after I hit space. I was shocked!

Hope this helps somebody,
Eric
I hate to say it but it didn't work for me. No biggy.

Nothing at all.

Another thing I tried that fixed a going-to-sleep issue I had was to change my Power Options from 'Power Saver' to 'Balanced.'

The problem I was having was that after choosing sleep or hibernate, the screen would go black, but upon a key press or mouse move, it would turn back on and still be awake. Are you dual-booting anything? Has it ever worked?

Actually I've always disabled sleep, hibernation, monitor shut down and screen savers. I didn't like the way they worked in earlier versions of Windows. This is the first time I've even tried it. I just thought I'd give it a try since someone posted a thread saying it had been improved.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Im also having problems waking from sleep. I get disc activity but the screen stays off. Not sure whats going on in the backgorund

Back