Windows 7 Canon Pixma iP3000 wont install in Windows 7

Hjourst

I just wanted to relate my vexing problem and the ultimate solution which I dscovered after half a day, and it's something that Microsoft will probably never admit happens.

I installed Windows 7 64 bit OS on my Toshiba Satellite, and could not get my Pixma iP3000 installed. I first tried the disc that came with, but I got messages to the effect that this will not work with my current sysytem. I looked all over the world at Canon download sites and could fine everything BUT the Windows 7 64 bit driver.

Everywhere else I got the same tip: Just plug in your printer fresh into a recently re-started computer, and the system should recognize it and install the driver. Well, it attempted to do this the first time, but it notified me that it did not have the driver!

Following another tip, I prompted Windows update to have a go. Surprise, it discovered some new updates to install. Lo and Behold, one of them was a Pixma iP3000 driver update! but DAMN, that one update failed to install, and after failing a retry it just would NOT attempt it again. The message was something to the effect of, "We decided you don't need that."

The solution: I started from scratch. I re-installed Windows 7 64 bit after deleting the partition. I ran the first run of Windows update. Before installing anything else, I turned on and connected my printer. Again, it said, "Yes, we see this is a Pixma iP3000, but we don't have the driver." Then, keeping the device connected, I did Windows Update again, and several updates, including the Pixma iP3000 driver update, appeared. It installed correctly this time.

And now my printer works.

Congratulations on your determination and ultimate success. These end user oriented, pointy, clicky wizards are all very nice while they work but when they don't do the business, when they tell you that they are making decisions on your behalf and what thay are doing is in your best interest it does make you yearn for some of the good old days when installing a new device just involved some "simple" editing of config.sys and autoexec.bat!

Back