Windows 7 Can’t add Properties to an .flv file

boondocks

When I open a video folder and click on “More Options” and then “Details”, in the Details view, one sees 4 columns: Name, Date, Type, and Size for an flv file. But I can create many more columns for an mp4 file than for an flv file. Let me explain.

For an mp4 file one may see Length. In addition, one may add many columns for an mp4 file. For example, right click on any column heading such as “Date”, click on “More” check the box for Comments and click OK. A column labeled Comments will now appear. Right click on your mp4 file, click Properties, and click the Details tab. At the intersection of Value and Comments type in “This is a comment”. Your comment will appear in the Comments column for the mp4 file in your video folder.

You can’t do this for an .flv file. It doesn’t have any editable Properties. This is not an issue of Video Codecs. I have K-Lite Codec Pack. I know how to click on MediaInfo and see all kinds of cool info, but “comments” is not one of them. THIS IS NOT ABOUT EDITING METADATA. I have no desire to edit my videos to stick in new kinds of metadata! They would not appear in my video folder under Explorer even if I did. Nor am I interested in any Media Player that may allow me to attach extra columns like “Comments” inside the media player. I want Explorer to do this!

Under XP I could easily add several "canned" column headings (a Property) that I wanted to a video folder. The property was not bound to the file type; it was bound to the folder in which the extra columns were created. XP gave me about a dozen Column Headings that were very general and had nothing to do with a specific file type. For example: “Comments”, “Subject”, “Category”, or “Title”. If I wanted to give a video a rating of 1 to 16, I could enter a Comment of “ 3” (the space in front of the 3 makes it work alphabetically). If I now click on the Comments heading, all my videos will be listed in order of their rating! If I click again, they will be listed highest ranked first.

Why in their infinite wisdom did Windows 7 take this power and ease of use away from me? Or can someone out there please tell me the simple procedure for doing what I could do under XP? Windows 7 gives me about 100 new possible column headings that I can easily select, but it makes the column impossible to fill in for certain file types! Also Windows 7 will not display the columns I added in Windows XP (like "Comments"). Probably, I cannot create a “Tag” for an flv file and have the Explorer search feature find that tag either.

Help, Please!

Back