Can't Boot XP after dual-boot

eddified

Extraordinary Member
I installed windows 8 on a new partition on my really old computer.

Something I did made windows 8 not boot anymore (I don't want it on my computer, I want to fully revert back to XP).

But, XP won't boot either!

The error message when trying to boot xp is:

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:
... <instructions to repair computer using dvd>...
File: \ntldr
Info: The application or operating system couldn't be loaded because a required file is missing or contains errors.

When I google it, all I find are instructions that assume your windows vista (or windows 7 or windows 8) partition still boots. I need instructions that work from the xp cd's repair command prompt. I already tried going into the xp recovery console and running fixmbr plus I copied ntldr and NTDETECT.COM from the cd to the C:\ drive. I still get the same error message.

eddified

Extraordinary Member
Nevermind. I solved it. I had to use "fixboot".

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Microsoft MVP
Hi,

thanks for updating your thread and welcome to the forum.. :)

this is well that you have got the solution of trouble you were in so quickly .. if you specify the process in detail here then it would help a lot to get out form the similar cause to many .. however enjoy your stay to this forum and keep sharing with us as well

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.