Windows 7 Cant connect to internet unless in safemode with networking

DragonPoet

OK, so I have recently wiped my hard drive (7 pass process) and I have reinstalled Windows 7 Home Premium. I then proceeded to update to SP1. Everything is good so far. Then, I found a page on here that had useful programs to download (Located Here). "SWEET!" I thought. So I downloaded a bunch of them. Soon after a restart, I couldn't connect to the internet via Firefox 4.0 or IE8. However, Avast still seems to be able to update as well as Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware. So I tried to do what I think is a "clean boot" (I remember reading something about it some time ago). I opened msconfig then clicked "Selective Startup" then clicked on the "Services" tab. After that I clicked on the "Hide all Microsoft Services" then enabled the first half and disabled the second half of my services and the restarted. This did not work. So I repeated the steps but enabled second half and disabled the first half. Still nothing. I then booted into Safemode with Networking and that seems to be the only way I can connect to the internet. I have tired using Malwarebyte's and Avast to both scan my computer and it still say it's clean. Can anyone help me? I wasn't exactly what to publish as far as system information or things like that so they are available on demand. Thanks for the help!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Update~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I have researched a bunch from google and have gone to other forums and it seems that no one has such luck. Please help me friends!

P.S.
I am normally on sevenforums.com and not on here so much. So I am sorry if I am late to reply.

Last edited:
If Safe Mode works, it would normally mean some driver is causing a problem. Did you update the driver for your Ethernet adapter?

Msconfig also has the ability to not allow startup items under selective startup. Troubleshooting procedures will suggest you do cold boots with one item checked and then the other. Whichever one does not work, would lead you to a specific area.

Back