Windows 7 cant connect to public wifi

nitemere

HELP ....im trying to connect to a public network .when i try to do so it tells me windows cant conect...any help would be great..im win7....cheers

We need a lot more info to be able to help if at all possible. Is it WiFi or cable? Is there another computer around that does connect and one that does not? Please tell every thing of your configuration and every thing you see.

HELP ....im trying to connect to a public wifi network .when i try to do so it tells me windows cant conect...any help would be great.im running win7 64 bit laptop..i use to be able to get there b4 .a nother laptop in the house can get onto the network still....cheers

Last edited:
I am afraid that this is too little. There are 1000 reasons for not being able to connect. Really sorry for that

I am afraid that this is too little. There are 1000 reasons for not being able to connect. Really sorry for that
I have been thinking this night, there are several things we can check, but that may not be easy
1. Is that public network still in good condition
2. Are the IP settings in the laptop correct (automaticly get an IP address)
3. Are the adapter settings correct (auto channel to connect to)
4. Are there any other autoconnectable networks in reach

Lets try it step by step
1. Is that public network still working correctly
Please get some other laptop, or a smartphone or a tablet and check whether you can access that public network

If that is ok I will be back

I have been thinking this night, there are several things we can check, but that may not be easy
1. Is that public network still in good condition
2. Are the IP settings in the laptop correct (automaticly get an IP address)
3. Are the adapter settings correct (auto channel to connect to)
4. Are there any other autoconnectable networks in reach

Lets try it step by step
1. Is that public network still working correctly
Please get some other laptop, or a smartphone or a tablet and check whether you can access that public network

If that is ok I will be back
Cheers for replying bochane,the public net work is still strong and working well...the other lappy using the public network is in a room next to mine.the adapter settings are the only thing that seems to differ ...my adapter comes up as hidden .im at a loss how to change this as im a novice with l plates on when it comes to changing settings ect lol...there are no other public networks in range either....neil

So the adapter, there are several ways to get there. This is one of the many. Click on the Start button, than right click Computer and choose Properties, in the upper left corner you will find Device Control, open it.
In the Device Control Panel you will find an entry Network Adapters, click on it, than you will see a WiFi adapter, right click on it and go for the Properties.
In the Properties Panel of the WiFi adapter you click on the advanced tab, there are the parameters you want to see. B.t.w. they differ from adapter to adapter.
Of special interest are:
802.11n modus
standard wireless ad-hoc modus
wireless modus

I can't say what the settings are in your location, make them the same as on the other laptop.

And a last point, most laptops have some way to switch off WiFi, make sure it is switched on in your case.

Good Luck, and greetings from The Netherlands
Henk

Last edited:
Back