Windows 8 Can't connect with wifi (WPA2-PSK)

HyperSpider

I can't connect on a school network, the security type is WPA2-PSK.
The password is correct but it will not connect, other networks with a another security type can I connect (WPA2-enterprise or WPA).

This problem was not in Windows 7, This problem have I with Windows 8

Have anybody a solution?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello and welcome to the forum.
With no information regarding the computer you are using, the wireless adapter, the driver or driver date for said adapter, it's difficult to suggest anything except maybe check with the adapter manufacturer and see if there is a driver update available.

If, as seems to be the case, in all other instances the adapter seems to work without issues, then I would suggest talking with the school's network administrator and see if you can work out why that particular network is unique and will not allow you to connect.

Regards
Randy

I have a Qualcomm Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter, and i think i have the lasted driver

I have no means of determining if that statement is accurate or not as you have not included the driver version number nor date...... but, here is a link, click the "Click for download" button and wait ( it takes a while) and see if that is the same driver you are currently using. Good luck
Drivers for Atheros AR9285 and Windows 7

I have download the driver, but it has no affect, I can't connect to the school network, Yesterday I saw at home that I have WPA2-PSK security, and school has the same security type, the password that I used is corrrect.

anyone have a solution for this problem?

I have download the driver, but it has no affect, I can't connect to the school network, Yesterday I saw at home that I have WPA2-PSK security, and school has the same security type, the password that I used is corrrect.

anyone have a solution for this problem?
Yes... talk to the school network administrators and find out why.

You have reported that this is not a universal problem and that your wireless adapter works in most if not all other instances.
Since the issue is unique to one particular network, I am not sure what we could possibly do to assist you with this problem and without assistance from the network administrator I am not sure what you can do to resolve the issue.
Perhaps temporarily borrow another adapter from a friend, fellow student, etc., (USB dongle) for testing to see if the problem persists.
With WPA2 Pre-Shared Key there are options regarding the encryption algorithm / protocol
AES / CCMP and TKIP / RC4
IF it is possible to determine which they are using then you might be able to research and see if there are any issues with your particular adapter and either method.
Regards
Randy

I have the same problem, WPA2-PSK does not work in win8 but on the same computer with win7, Simpler protokolls does work in win8.

I am stumpt.

/Erkki

Hello - I have the same problem
We have a new Nokia 820 with Windows 8. It will not connect to ANY WPA2-PSK/WPA2-Personal networks. We have changed the encryption of the router at one place to WEP - and then there is no problem. All software on both phone and router is updated the different places where we have tested it. We also have a Nokia 800 with Windows 7.8 - it works fine with the WPA2-PSK setting of the router (as well as a number of other devices - from various brands and OS).
We have a laptop - also with Windows 8, but is connects fine with the WPA2-PSK setting of the network, so it seems as if there could be a difference in the mobile version of Windows 8 and the PC-version of it - or some temporary errors?.
We have even tried to change channels of the router- no effect.
It is a MAJOR problem. I would have thought that Windows 8 always could connect to a WPA2-PSK network.
Please - can some one give me the tip that solves this problem.
Thank!
Regards, VKJ

I checked my router in my gateway and although I have WPA2-PSK/WPA2 also, there is a place to choose your type of security, i.e., low, medium, high, and still keep WPA2-PSK/WPA2. If set too high, your access can be limited . I have since chosen medium and can access sites I could not get before.

I have WPA2-AES/TKIP in my Windows8.1 working with my Cisco router on the "High" setting with no problems. There are probably other network settings you have changed in your Windows8 networking components or within your wireless router/gateway that are causing this. It's not a flaw in Windows8/8.1 from what I can observe.

BIGBEARJED

I can't connect on a school network, the security type is WPA2-PSK.
The password is correct but it will not connect, other networks with a another security type can I connect (WPA2-enterprise or WPA).

This problem was not in Windows 7, This problem have I with Windows 8

Have anybody a solution?
I have a Qualcomm Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter, and i think i have the lasted driver

SAME PROBLEM!!!!
Same ar9285 with lastest drivers...

please post any solutions, not throubles or unuseful post (like the previous up)

Just to clarify, my post was with the router within the gateway and that is the HIGH reference. I have since bridged the gateway and am using my own router with no issue.

SAME PROBLEM!!!!

please post any solutions, not throubles or unuseful post (like the previous up)
There is no such thing as an easy to use checklist for this:
- network settings may be wrong, most times 'ipconfig /all' will help you to find a solution
- adapter setting may be wrong, i.e. wrong channel, dis- and reconnecting the adapter may help
- malware
- from the outside:
+ blocked by your ISP
+ more then 1 auto connectable networks in reach
+ modem/router problem: i.e. configuration fault or router table overflow, resetting may help
+ an attack from hackers
For a good and quick answer you will need in almost all cases advice from some expert on the spot

Last edited:
SAME PROBLEM!!!!

>>>@alfabeta: Since you're new here, we'll let this instance slide. But, it's very poor "netiquette" to jump onto an online forum and slam someone who most likely knows much more than you do about a "non-useful" post. We call this "Hijacking" someone else's thread. If you have a question on similar or even identical hardware, you should be creating or opening your own thread on the Forum. (I suggest your read the Forum rules). On other tech forums I volunteer on, this is cause for being banned permanently. I'm not sure if you were mentioning my post as specifically "non-useful" or one of our other Mods or volunteers, but if you do it again, I will definitely report your behavior.
BTW, if you read the original post (OP), you'll see that my post does answer the question of whether or not Win8.1 causes the OPs problem, or it's just his specific computer or network setup that is scrambled.

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Back