Windows 7 Can't Defrag HDD Below 30%

Cheemag

Extraordinary Member
Using Defraggler, I cannot get my 1TB boot drive below 30% fragmentation.

Is this a problem?

Regards,

Jim.

Certainly is, in my opinion. I've used Defraggler, but found that Auglogics Disk Defrag does better. You can get it here.

Download Auslogics Disk Defrag 3.3.1.2 - FileHippo.com

Once you get it defragged, you may wish to shrink your "C" partition to a more manageable size, like under 100GB. Mine is 70GB, & that's plenty. You can create another partition for data, to keep it separate from the OS. The purposes for this are twofold. First, your OS will run better on a smaller partition. Secondly, your data is protected from loss if your OS goes down. So, if you had to reinstall your OS, as we all have to from time to time, your data will be there.

Try out that software & see if it improves. It should.

Cat

Certainly is, in my opinion. I've used Defraggler, but found that Auglogics Disk Defrag does better. You can get it here.

Download Auslogics Disk Defrag 3.3.1.2 - FileHippo.com

Once you get it defragged, you may wish to shrink your "C" partition to a more manageable size, like under 100GB. Mine is 70GB, & that's plenty. You can create another partition for data, to keep it separate from the OS. The purposes for this are twofold. First, your OS will run better on a smaller partition. Secondly, your data is protected from loss if your OS goes down. So, if you had to reinstall your OS, as we all have to from time to time, your data will be there.

Try out that software & see if it improves. It should.

Cat

Well, thanks. That defragged it in 13 seconds.

Defraggler is now showing 35% fragmentation, so it wasn't that the disc was fragmented, but rather Defraggler had its knickers in a twist.

Thanks again.

--

Cheemag

Well, thanks. That defragged it in 13 seconds.

Defraggler is now showing 35% fragmentation, so it wasn't that the disc was fragmented, but rather Defraggler had its knickers in a twist.

Thanks again.

--

Cheemag
You have 2 choices with Auglogics Disk Defrag, either a fast scan, or an optimization scan. You need to optimize the HDD. That would likely take several minutes, at least.

I've found it best not to compare Defraggler with other ones, as it will show higher than normal fragmentation rates. And many times, it won't improve, no matter how much it's ran. That's why I suggested Auglogics, it's one of the more powerful free defrag tools on the market. Defraggler runs best when the disk has little fragmentation on it.

How large is your "C", or boot partition? That has a huge effect on fragmentation. If that partition alone is using 100% of the disk space (except your 100MB system partition), that's way too huge to manage. Smaller partitions are better for the OS install partition, as I explained above.

Cat

You have 2 choices with Auglogics Disk Defrag, either a fast scan, or an optimization scan. You need to optimize the HDD. That would likely take several minutes, at least.

I've found it best not to compare Defraggler with other ones, as it will show higher than normal fragmentation rates. And many times, it won't improve, no matter how much it's run. That's why I suggested Auglogics, it's one of the more powerful free defrag tools on the market. Defraggler runs best when the disk has little fragmentation on it.

How large is your "C", or boot partition? That has a huge effect on fragmentation.

The whole disc except for what Windows reserves for its own use.

If that partition alone is using 100% of the disk space (except your 100MB system partition), that's way too huge to manage. Smaller partitions are better for the OS install partition, as I explained above.

Cat

Yes, I know, I'll think about re-partitioning it.

I feel that would help you a lot, and the sooner you do it, the better. Sometimes "unmovable" files get placed on blocks of the HDD near the end, then it becomes a task to shrink the partition.

Cat

Back