Windows 7 Cant dual boot W7 with XP anymore

justjules

Hi, ok heres the problem I had a dual booting system with W7 RC 64bit and XP Pro 32bit on 2 separate HDs. When my copy of W7 Pro turned up I removed the HD that had the W7 RC install on and replaced it with a new 250gb HD. I installed the 64bit version of W7 Pro, when I restarted it went straight into W7. However if I remove the cables from the W7 HD and boot into XP it offers me the dual boot screen. Is there anyway that I can remove the original boot files from the XP install or do I have to reinstall it.
Any help on this matter would be gratefully received, cos its givin me a headache!

Cheers
Jules

What is it that you want to do exactly? You want to have your dual-boot option back when you have the W7 drive connected? If so then you will need to use BCDEdit or EasyBCD to re-add your XP install. Windows 7 should have left an option to boot 'Earlier Version of Windows' when it boots up? I haven't dual-booted in a while so I'm a bit rusty!

Hi Gavin19, yes I want to have my dual boot opton back, but when I used easyBCD t add the XP boot and I chose drive F which is drive with the XP istall on it, is that the corect drive or should I add it to C.

Thanks for your reply
Cheers

Jules

Hi Gavin19, yes I want to have my dual boot opton back, but when I used easyBCD t add the XP boot and I chose drive F which is drive with the XP istall on it, is that the corect drive or should I add it to C.

Thanks for your reply
Cheers

Jules

To be honest I'm not sure. You could add 2 entries, one for F and one for C and then see which one works for you, then go back into EasyBCD and delete the other one.

Back