Windows 7 can't find restore date from more than a couple of weeks ago

gstew

hi everybody,

I built a Win 7 PC for recording MIDI and everything was going fine until recently the main application that I use has been crashing. I've talked to the manufacturers and they can't figure it out,but I have a feeling it's from some updates I did on Oct 20th 2012.
I looked in my restore points and can't find anything earlier than a couple of weeks ago even when I check "show more". Is there a way to restore to a month ago to see if it fixes my problem?

thanks,

G

hi,

I've been creating restore points since I built it back in July so they should be there ,I read somewhere that Windows doesn;t want you going back more than a couple of weeks for stability etc...

thnx

G

They won't be there if there is not enough space allocated. When the alloted space is used up it automatically deletes the oldest one to make room for a new one.
Joe

hi,
thanks,I just noticed that turn off system protection was checked in the configure tab as well as the slider all the way to the left which I though said max but really means 0% I guess although it says there's 6GB of backups,oh well,live and learn. I set it to 40GB,should that be ok to keep a couple of months backups?
thanks again for all the help,

G

System restore is sometimes useful but not always and going back very far can cause it's own problems. A better idea is to make an image either with Windows Backup or thirdparty software. I use Acrinis True Image. Paragon, EaseUS, and Macrium all have free stripped down versions. I also partitioned my HD with system on one and data on the other. Then you can restore the system without bothering your data.
Joe

Back
Top Bottom