Windows 7 A couple of issues with Windows 7 RC

Glitch

I have installed Windows 7 RC a few weeks ago. Everything was working perfectly, in fact, I was pleasantly surprised. Then, a few days ago, I got home to find the machine with the blue screen. The problem appeared to have been minidump, which instantly reminded me of a similar problem I had with Vista on my old laptop where I found out that the cause was incompatible graphics card driver...thing is, up until now, there was nothing wrong with Win 7 nor the driver and I'm thinking, if it was the driver, it would have started as soon as I installed it...so I'm somewhat confused. Today, I got the same blue screen in the middle of my typing. I tried to disable BIOS memory options like it suggested, but could not reach them as they were greyed out.

What can be done? The current machine with Windows 7 is HP Pavilion Slimline s3431 with Dell monitor (too old to find a driver compatible with even Vista).

Also, I have had a Linux partition before I installed Windows 7 (I dual booted Vista with it) and after Win 7 installation, the boot menu has disappeared and I can't get into my Linux. I tried installing a bootloader but it's not finding the system, even though I am 100% certain I have not wiped it off. How can I get to Linux partition again?

Thanks.

I have installed Windows 7 RC a few weeks ago. Everything was working perfectly, in fact, I was pleasantly surprised. Then, a few days ago, I got home to find the machine with the blue screen. The problem appeared to have been minidump, which instantly reminded me of a similar problem I had with Vista on my old laptop where I found out that the cause was incompatible graphics card driver...thing is, up until now, there was nothing wrong with Win 7 nor the driver and I'm thinking, if it was the driver, it would have started as soon as I installed it...so I'm somewhat confused. Today, I got the same blue screen in the middle of my typing. I tried to disable BIOS memory options like it suggested, but could not reach them as they were greyed out.

What can be done? The current machine with Windows 7 is HP Pavilion Slimline s3431 with Dell monitor (too old to find a driver compatible with even Vista).

Also, I have had a Linux partition before I installed Windows 7 (I dual booted Vista with it) and after Win 7 installation, the boot menu has disappeared and I can't get into my Linux. I tried installing a bootloader but it's not finding the system, even though I am 100% certain I have not wiped it off. How can I get to Linux partition again?

Thanks.

Have you used EasyBCD to fix you booting problem. I triple boot, and it has made life sooo much easier. Install you Linux bootloader (which I assme is Grub) to the Linux Partition; EasyBCD will take care of windows. Start EasyBCD, and add a Linux. Pretty easy

Thanks for replying.
Actually, I have been using Easy for a few years now but it hasn't done much this time. I added Linux to it and I see it now (Neo...Linux) but when I choose to boot in, nothing happens.
However, I am now considering reinstalling Windows 7 because I have had 3 blue screens today and then Internet connection went dead on me...

Did you get any Windows Updates today? Also, is your video driverup to date? I did a video driver update to the one installed in my Win 7and it actually made the system flake out. So sometimes updates aren't the answer.

Also, did you dellete the Linux entry,reboot, and add it again. I had this happen once and this proccess solved it.

Last edited:
No, haven't downloaded any updates today...I thought it might be video driver problem. I tried backrolling it but the entry in previous updates list was un-editable so that made it impossible.
I will try your suggestion regarding Linux.

Back
Top Bottom