Windows 7 Can't find the magic button to install fonts

slsmvs

Honorable Member
The Fonts Control Panel does not seem to offer any way to install new fonts.

Am I missing something?

First download the font that you want to install.
Right click on the font and click on Properties.
Under theGeneral tab, click on the Unblock button if there and click on OK. or:Link Removed due to 404 Error
Right click on the downloaded font and click on Install.
You can either navigate to C:\Windows\Fonts in Windows Explorer or open theControl Panel (All items View) and click on the Fonts icon to open the Fonts Control Panel page.

Thanks, Dave.

You echo some other replies I've seen. Based on those I simply went to my Postscript fonts folder, selected all the .pfm files and right-clicked Install.

Done!

I still like the idea of picking the fonts, using the proper font names, from the control panel. The PS file names are cryptic and selective install is very difficult.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Thanks again to all who helped me.

Steve

Let's make this more precise

I have no problem installing fonts whose filenames I recognize, although that seems to be be a bit bit bass-ackwards. If for some unknown reason I want to install Adobe Myriad Tilt, I need to go to WMTIL___.PFM to install it. I would suggest that a proper font installer (such as Bitstream's Font Navigator) woul read a folder of font files and list them with their recognizable names. I could then select the ones I want to install.

Is that too much to expect of Windows 7?

Well, that's a bit too complicated to me. It seems that a person needs a comp tech education to work with Windows 7. With XP I never had a problem installing fonts. I guess I have to be content with the fonts that are pre-installed or switch to XP when I want to make some fancier stuff. Pretty sad.

WMTIL___.PFM .......................

There is no need to register these files,they arr included in Adobe and Sun Microssytems projects,They don't goth]windows fonts folder.

the are not True Type Fonts (.ttf)

Reply to reghakr

Of course a Postscript Type 1 font is not a TrueType font. Windows has supported T1 fonts since about... Windows 95? In Windows XP (just checked in a virtual machine) there is an Add Fonts function in the Fonts Control Panel. If I point that function to a folder of Type 1 fonts, it comes back with the real names of each of the fonts and allows me to select the ones to install.
I think Vista has a similar function. (I can check that tomorrow.)

My question is, where is that function in Windows 7? I can't believe there was a huge demand to drop it.

Well, that's a bit too complicated to me. It seems that a person needs a comp tech education to work with Windows 7. With XP I never had a problem installing fonts. I guess I have to be content with the fonts that are pre-installed or switch to XP when I want to make some fancier stuff. Pretty sad.

Maybe you are not reading the suggestion carefully. As Davehc said, some time ago, right click the downloaded font and, only if the option is there, unblock and then click install. It then automatically appears in the Control Panel - Fonts. I don't think it gets easier than that.
PS files tend to be Adobe specific. If you get Adobe Type Manager (ATM) it is simpler to install PostScript fonts in Windows 7.

You're right, there was an instal font on theFile Menu, not in 7 though

Last edited:
That's what I tried several times. I right clicked the font I wanted to download, extracted them into the font folder. Did not work. Then I extracted them and dragged them into the font folder-no change. I right clicked the .ttf as well. No addition to the font folder; it still says 192 items-no more.
Maybe I have to restart the computer.

How are they pacjaged.............in a .zip file?

Extract the contents to your desktop, now right click on each font and choodr install. You can the delete the ones on your desktop.

Back