Windows 7 Can't fix "Local Area Connection" doesn't have a valid IP address

Reiker

Internet randomly dropped out at around 5 PM yesterday and haven't gotten it working since. When I connect to another computer (which I'm posting on right now) it works fine. The problematic computer is running Windows 7 64 bit, this computer is running Vista. There is no router involved.

I've tried rebooting, disabling/renabling the adapter, rolling back the driver, a system restore, searching services.msc for bonjour (didn't see anything suspicious), updating to the current nforce driver, and manually setting an IP configuration among other things. I did an /ipconfig all on the computer that is working and used those details on the first computer while manually entering the IP, gateway, etc info. This got rid of the "doesn't have a valid IP address" error... great, right? But it's replaced with a generic "Troubleshooting couldn't identify the problem." When set to automatically obtain IP address I get a 169.x IP. I've tried pretty much every solution I've ever seen posted regarding this issue and nothing's working. It's not a problem with the ISP (another computer works fine), or the cable (another computer works fine), and my computer has two ethernet adapters; I find the possibility of both failing at the same time hard to believe.

Think I'm getting close to reading every thread on the internet regarding this issue, no fix. It's getting extremely frustrating not being able to access internet on my main computer. I need this for school/work and don't have time to be trying to fix this seemingly unresolvable issue. I'm close to just reinstalling Windows 7 but I don't really want to have to, and it'd probably take me forever to figure out where the disc is at. How can there be no way to fix this crap?

Anyone out there, please?

Internet randomly dropped out at around 5 PM yesterday and haven't gotten it working since. When I connect to another computer (which I'm posting on right now) it works fine. The problematic computer is running Windows 7 64 bit, this computer is running Vista. There is no router involved.

I've tried rebooting, disabling/renabling the adapter, rolling back the driver, a system restore, searching services.msc for bonjour (didn't see anything suspicious), updating to the current nforce driver, and manually setting an IP configuration among other things. I did an /ipconfig all on the computer that is working and used those details on the first computer while manually entering the IP, gateway, etc info. This got rid of the "doesn't have a valid IP address" error... great, right? But it's replaced with a generic "Troubleshooting couldn't identify the problem." When set to automatically obtain IP address I get a 169.x IP. I've tried pretty much every solution I've ever seen posted regarding this issue and nothing's working. It's not a problem with the ISP (another computer works fine), or the cable (another computer works fine), and my computer has two ethernet adapters; I find the possibility of both failing at the same time hard to believe.

I'm wondering if that's what's exactly happened. Static has built up and blown the system. It happened to a friend of mine the other day. It blew out his computer and Xbox! Luckily he got the xbox working again but the ethernet adapter in the pc had gone...

I spoke with EVGA and the rep was very certain the NIC was okay. Windows is detecting the adapter and says it has no problems. I'm just unable to obtain a valid IP address. A lot of new information in the TSF thread if anyone wants to read that and try to help me out, but I'm still stuck with no internet. Waiting on a callback from my ISP before I go purchase another NIC (which I still don't think is going to fix the problem). :(

I have had thie problem on and off.

It seems to resolve when I unplug and replug the LAN cable from the router, then power off the router (pull out power cord), wait 30 seconds or so, and power on again.

Hope that helps.

Peter

The op may have solved the problem. There has been no input in this thread since September last year.

Back
Top Bottom