Windows 8 Can't get mail app to work...

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

Well I have my new computer and most everything is working great.

I tried to use the Mail App but I couldn't get it to work.
After a rather round about path I finally got to the Add Account window.

But I can't get it to work, I put in my address and password and it either says it can't find my account or is just sits there forever without starting.

I finally gave up and downloaded Windows Live Mail.

I put in the same information and it opened my account right up.

I then went back to the App and copied all my info from the working account to the App windows, i.e. mail.comcast.net and smtp.comcast.net.

It still won't open my mail.

I finally gave up for now and will use Live Mail.

I think the problem may be that comcast is a pop3 server and the App seems to be looking for an Imap server.

But I don't see an option to tell it otherwise.

Anyone have any ideas?

Mike

The native Mail app of Windows 8 doesn't supports POP3, so you'll need to add 3th party program to archive this. You can install your preferenced program for this (don't think there an app in the App Store for this at present time)

I have found the easiest way to check email is to sign in and then pin it to the desktop or task bar. One click and I'm in. Takes two clicks just to get the mail app open. Live Mail is a better choice than the mail app anyway. After all it allows you to check mail and have multiple windows instead of it taking up your whole screen.

Hi

Well I have my new computer and most everything is working great.

I tried to use the Mail App but I couldn't get it to work.
After a rather round about path I finally got to the Add Account window.

But I can't get it to work, I put in my address and password and it either says it can't find my account or is just sits there forever without starting.

I finally gave up and downloaded Windows Live Mail.

I put in the same information and it opened my account right up.

I then went back to the App and copied all my info from the working account to the App windows, i.e. mail.comcast.net and smtp.comcast.net.

It still won't open my mail.

I finally gave up for now and will use Live Mail.

I think the problem may be that comcast is a pop3 server and the App seems to be looking for an Imap server.

But I don't see an option to tell it otherwise.

Anyone have any ideas?

Mike

Hi Mike,

Ideally the default Windows mail app works best with a Hotmail or Outlook account. As mentioned above POP3 isn't required here. I also use my Outlook account to sign into windows 8 with too that way everything is in sync. Do you have a Hotmail or Outlook account? If not, I urge you to get one and then use it to sign into Windows 8 with. That's why windows asks if you have a Microsoft account on installation. Honestly Mike, it opens up another side to Windows 8.

Hi

I installed Windows Live Mail and it works fine.

I think about every mail account I've had has been pop3.

My account is through my Isp, Comcast.
I've had the same account for years I'm not going to change just to suit Microsoft.

But if Windows Live Mail can handle it why not the Mail App?

I do have a .live email account and a Windows ID, but it's not the one I use every day.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom