Windows 10 Can't get Windows to boot up.

havananights561

Good morning! My name is Tamara. I just joined this Forum because I figured it would be a lot of help to me since I am in the process of taking my A+ certification. So I won't bore you with the boring details! But hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. Now, I don't know EVERYTHING about computers, and I most definitely have a long way ahead of me, but I am a little techy and can usually figure things out by myself.
My mom gave me this old computer thats been collecting dust in her house, she said it never "started up right."
I tried to start up the computer and it got stuck on the Windows 10 logo screen. Sometimes it doesn't even get to the logo screen. Anyway, I figured, this computer is super old maybe it has some issues so I read a little online and it was saying to create a bootable drive and try to flash the computer.
So I made TWO bootable USBs on my Mac. One for Windows 8.1 and another one for Windows 10.
When I try to boot from Windows 8.1 I get a black screen with an underscore sign flashing, same with Windows 10.
I can't seem to get past this screen. Any help would really be helpful! Just trying to see if this computer can be fixed. Heres a little info form the CMOS Setup.

System: Dell Inspiron 537s
BIOS Info: A02 03/30/09
Processor TYPE: Pentium (R) Dual-Core CPU E5200 @ 2.50GHz
Processor L2 Cache: 2048 KB

Have you booted into BIOS and verified USB boot is before the local disk? I would also verify the USB was created with the correct boot type to match the computer either legacy MBR or UEFI

You'll have to look in BIOS. Boot mode or possibly under security. Typical values will be 'Legacy', 'Hybrid' (csm) or 'UEFI [only]'. Another easy way to check is if you can see at least the loading screen if it's Windows logo with the spinning dots its legacy and if you see the manufacturer logo it's UEFI.

Anyway, I figured, this computer is super old .

System: Dell Inspiron 537s
BIOS Info: A02 03/30/09
Processor TYPE: Pentium (R) Dual-Core CPU E5200 @ 2.50GHz
Processor L2 Cache: 2048 KB

The processor model is actually pretty good for a home computer. How much RAM does the computer have?

In regards to BIOS boot options (instructions from the official service manual, click here):

Changing Boot Sequence for the Current Boot
You can use this feature, for example, to tell the computer to boot from the CD drive so that you can run the Dell Diagnostics on the Drivers and Utilities media, but you want the computer to boot from the hard drive when the diagnostic tests are complete. You can also use this feature to restart your computer to a USB device such as a floppy drive, memory key, or CD-RW drive.

1. If you are booting to a USB device, connect the USB device to a USB connector.

2. Turn on (or restart) your computer.

3. When F2 = Setup, F12 = Boot Menu appears in the bottom- right corner of the screen, press F12. If you wait too long and the operating system logo appears, continue to wait until you see the Microsoft Windows desktop. Then shut down your computer and try again. The Boot Device Menu appears, listing all available boot devices. Each device has a number next to it.

4. At the bottom of the menu, enter the number of the device that is to be used for the current boot only. For example, if you are booting to a USB memory key, highlight USB Flash Device and press Enter.

Changing Boot Sequence for Future Boots
1. Enter system setup (see Entering System Setup).
2. Use the arrow keys to highlight the Boot Device Configuration menu option and press to access the menu.
3. Press the up- and down-arrow keys to move through the list of devices.
4. Press plus (+) or minus (–) to change the boot priority of device.

In regards to live-USB,
please watch the video tutorial below. Rufus is a good software:

The processor model is actually pretty good for a home computer. How much RAM does the computer have?

In regards to BIOS boot options (instructions from the official service manual, click here):

Changing Boot Sequence for the Current Boot
You can use this feature, for example, to tell the computer to boot from the CD drive so that you can run the Dell Diagnostics on the Drivers and Utilities media, but you want the computer to boot from the hard drive when the diagnostic tests are complete. You can also use this feature to restart your computer to a USB device such as a floppy drive, memory key, or CD-RW drive.

1. If you are booting to a USB device, connect the USB device to a USB connector.

2. Turn on (or restart) your computer.

3. When F2 = Setup, F12 = Boot Menu appears in the bottom- right corner of the screen, press F12. If you wait too long and the operating system logo appears, continue to wait until you see the Microsoft Windows desktop. Then shut down your computer and try again. The Boot Device Menu appears, listing all available boot devices. Each device has a number next to it.

4. At the bottom of the menu, enter the number of the device that is to be used for the current boot only. For example, if you are booting to a USB memory key, highlight USB Flash Device and press Enter.

Changing Boot Sequence for Future Boots
1. Enter system setup (see Entering System Setup).
2. Use the arrow keys to highlight the Boot Device Configuration menu option and press to access the menu.
3. Press the up- and down-arrow keys to move through the list of devices.
4. Press plus (+) or minus (–) to change the boot priority of device.

In regards to live-USB,
please watch the video tutorial below. Rufus is a good software:

So I was finally get it to Flash, now everytime it starts up it gets past the Windows 10 icon but get stuck on a spinning circle with dots.

So I was finally get it to Flash, now everytime it starts up it gets past the Windows 10 icon but get stuck on a spinning circle with dots.

Do you mean "it gets past the Windows 10 icon but get stuck on a spinning circle with dots" when you run it from the Flash drive? or have you already reinstalled it?

Back