Windows 10 Can't install upgrades since KB3185614

MicheleP

Hello, I'm trying to install KB3185614 as a standalone package because with Windows Update I Always get error for all the KB (except Defender definition). I searched a lot on the network, I launched DISM and SFC with no errors It always stucks on about 19% and then rollbacks. The only track I found is in my CBS.log wher I found a lot of warnings of type "Current sub stage percentage lower than last sub stage percentage. [HRESULT = 0x8007000d - ERROR_INVALID_DATA]" My laptop is a ASUS G552VW and all the drivers are updated, it came with Win10 Home and I succesfully upgraded it to Win 10 Pro last February.
Lots of warnings of kind: "Warning - Overlap: Registry value collision found under key...." too
Thanks

Your update cache may be corrupt
  • Open services.msc
  • Stop Background Intelligent Transfer service and Windows Update
  • Delete or rename C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution
  • Restart Windows Update service and retry updates

Hi Neemobeer, the services are both stopped (they're of kind Automatic -delayed and Manual -triggered) and I Always cleaned folder C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution before start installation
Thanks

NeemoBeer, here it is, but I as told, I did not use WindowsUpdate: I tried to install it as a standalone package (downloaded from Microsoft Update Catalog).
Thanks

Attachments

• WindowsUpdate.20170103.174336.804.1.zip
    5.2 KB · Views: 226
Unfortunately, Windows Update still sneaks through all attempts at disabling WU (Windows Updated) as well as WUDO (Windows Update Delivery Optimization). This is still not well known outside of the W10 Insider Tester community *about 8 million folks*. I've done considerable work over the last 2 years on this topic, and generally speaking, many of us here have a couple of workarounds for slowing down the Updates coming into your W10 computer, but all attempts at totally keeping them out have failed as far as I can see.

Neem can give you a more detailed analysis from your uploaded Windows Update log than I can, so we'll see what he has to say on that. In the meantime, I noticed this from your uploaded CBS log:
2017-01-03 17:53:00, Info CSI 00002335 Warning - Overlap: Registry value collision found under key [l:87 ml:88]"\REGISTRY\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.lnk\ShellEx\{000214F9-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}\" for [l:0]"", only one component should set this value

There are 3 possibilities for this I can think of:
1.) Registry value collisions usually indicate a type of Registry Corruption in your W10 install
2.) Something in your PC is producing duplicate installs due to the failure of the first update attempt. This could be windows corruption or even a failing or failed hardware component such as RAM sticks or Hard Drive.
3.) Your Windows Update module has failed and needs to be repaired. This is indicative of an update from an earlier version of W10 such as v1511, or even v10586 going back to July 29th 2015 original release date of W10. *You should check and post back the EXACT version currently installed on your computer*. Reason I mention this is, that it appears that you may have a failed W10 AU update failure. This means that the W10 version that came with your ASUS computer from the factory (either v1511 or v10586) was overwritten or attempted to be overwritten by this KB3185614 update or other update.

We'll wait to see what neem's recommendations are, I'd try those first. If those don't produce a good result you may have to resort to more advanced troubleshooting including comprehensive hardware testing as in my Troubleshooting Guide here: Windows 10 - Unclickable Task Bar

Posting back your W10 version will help us to determine the cause of this failure. Take a look here on where to find your W10 version:
W10 WINVER CMD STUDIO540 9-17-16.JPG

Once you fix your problem, you may wish to search here for one of our Posts on how to prevent the Updates from coming into your computer and scrambling things once again. Remember, they mitigate the Updates from coming into your computer, they don't fully block them!
Here's a couple of Posts to get you started:
1.) https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930#bookmark-1607
2.) Windows Update Delivery Optimization: FAQ

Let us know how it goes!
Best,:eagerness:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Thanks BigBearJedi, the release of my Win 10 Pro is 1511, build 10586.218
I used PCCleaner Pro to check my Registry and it seems it was OK. I Agree with your third hypotesis, let me know if I can upload some more useful log. In while I'll try to make an HW test as you suggest.
Thank you, hope to hear you soon.

Hi eveybody, after 5 months I got it. I changed the reg key values on \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
for the keys ProgramFilesDir, ProgramFilesDir(x86) and ProgramFilesPath I set the values C:\Program files while before it was on D:\
I was set on the right track by the poqexec.log which stated: Status = STATUS_NOT_SAME_DEVICE, Operation = HardLinkFile, DiagString = [l:174]"\SystemRoot\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft-windows-rascmak.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.10586.713_it-it_351bbfe055a863a0\cmak.exe.mui, \??\D:\Program Files\CMAK\it-IT\cmak.exe.mui"
I Hope it heps

Unfortunately, Windows Update still sneaks through all attempts at disabling WU (Windows Updated) as well as WUDO (Windows Update Delivery Optimization). This is still not well known outside of the W10 Insider Tester community *about 8 million folks*. I've done considerable work over the last 2 years on this topic, and generally speaking, many of us here have a couple of workarounds for slowing down the Updates coming into your W10 computer, but all attempts at totally keeping them out have failed as far as I can see.

Neem can give you a more detailed analysis from your uploaded Windows Update log than I can, so we'll see what he has to say on that. In the meantime, I noticed this from your uploaded CBS log:
2017-01-03 17:53:00, Info CSI 00002335 Warning - Overlap: Registry value collision found under key [l:87 ml:88]"\REGISTRY\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.lnk\ShellEx\{000214F9-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}\" for [l:0]"", only one component should set this value

There are 3 possibilities for this I can think of:
1.) Registry value collisions usually indicate a type of Registry Corruption in your W10 install
2.) Something in your PC is producing duplicate installs due to the failure of the first update attempt. This could be windows corruption or even a failing or failed hardware component such as RAM sticks or Hard Drive.
3.) Your Windows Update module has failed and needs to be repaired. This is indicative of an update from an earlier version of W10 such as v1511, or even v10586 going back to July 29th 2015 original release date of W10. *You should check and post back the EXACT version currently installed on your computer*. Reason I mention this is, that it appears that you may have a failed W10 AU update failure. This means that the W10 version that came with your ASUS computer from the factory (either v1511 or v10586) was overwritten or attempted to be overwritten by this KB3185614 update or other update.

We'll wait to see what neem's recommendations are, I'd try those first. If those don't produce a good result you may have to resort to more advanced troubleshooting including comprehensive hardware testing as in my Troubleshooting Guide here: Windows 10 - Unclickable Task Bar

Posting back your W10 version will help us to determine the cause of this failure. Take a look here on where to find your W10 version:
View attachment 34318

Once you fix your problem, you may wish to search here for one of our Posts on how to prevent the Updates from coming into your computer and scrambling things once again. Remember, they mitigate the Updates from coming into your computer, they don't fully block them!
Here's a couple of Posts to get you started:
1.) https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930#bookmark-1607
2.) Windows Update Delivery Optimization: FAQ

Let us know how it goes!
Best,:eagerness:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Hey BBJ. I think i agree that we OEM owners might have found a bug. My MSi OEM version was updated from 10586 up through to 15063.250.

I'm under the impression that from 10258 - 15063.250, the data gets scrambled. I kept having issues with my windows getting deactivated. MSi replied to my emails and they stated that the cursory Dragon Center application causes problems and to uninstall it, then reinstall it. So for my thread I created about this activation issue, it would appear that MSi figured out the issue and is apparently letting people know.

Let this be a record that BBJ may have stumbled on to something. My laptop here is from Dec 2016 thereabouts. So I created a USB installation drive WITH the current Creators Update 15063.0. it installed 100% WITH all drivers installed perfectly. just a little tweak here and install dragon center there.. viola! I'm in action.

Thanks, Ragnarok! Glad you got it working on your MSI laptop! :up: Good Update.

Best,
<<<BBJ>>> :cool:

Back