Can't install update

I'm planning on getting windows 10, but, I'm not able to get the free version until I install windows 8.1.

But, the problem is that I'm not able to get it, ever since my laptop crashed and I had to re-install windows.

After the re-install, I've downloaded windows 8.1, but after the computer restarts, I only get the blue screen, then the menu for boot setup etc.

If I exit, I get a message saying windows wasn't able to update to 8.1, and that it has gone back to the previous version.

Anyone know how I can fix this?

If it was me (...and if I had a proper copy of Windows 8, or a proper key) I'd do a complete reinstall, install all updates for 8 (and upgrading to 8.1) and THEN taking the free upgrade to Windows 10.

If it was me (...and if I had a proper copy of Windows 8, or a proper key) I'd do a complete reinstall, install all updates for 8 (and upgrading to 8.1) and THEN taking the free upgrade to Windows 10.
I have a proper copy of windows 8, came with the laptop.

And I've tried to reinstall again, but it doesn't help.

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.