Windows 7 Can't install Windows 7 to SSD anymore in IDE or AHCI

Bodom

Im tryin to get my 64GB Mtron SSD runnin with Windows 7 but I can't get it to show up in the installation process. It shows just fine in the BIOS, in device manager, in My Computer and in Windows Disk Management, in fact I can even use it as storage but for some reason It will not show up as a disk to install Windows. I have tried as IDE in BIOS and AHCI and in AHCI mode it will not show up in the BIOS at all or anywhere, I can only get it to show in IDE mode. It has been fully formatted and has had Windows 7 on it here recently (had to reformat due to some speed issues). Does anyone know a way I can get Windows put back on, preferably in AHCI mode cause Im stuck with a Thousand dollar drive thats good for storage only :-(

My board is the Gigabyte GA-EP43-UD3L with BIOS F8 which according to their site is the latest one. Processor Q8600 and 4GB of OCZ Flex RAM...

Well I finally got it to show back up in Windows install by going through Partition Master and completely reformatting and deleting Partition and reinstalling Partition, lets see if I can get Windows back installed on it :)

Do those drives have a bios you can flash?

I also found this on one site.

EDITORS NOTE: The Windows 7 Operating System has demonstrated problems locating a native driver for the Mtron MOBI 3500 SSD on the Intel ICH9/10 Southbridge. Please take this into consideration when building a system using this product.
This info appears to be from 2009, so the RTM of Win 7 may have helped. It is hard to tell from the article exactly when the above quote was added.

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=265&Itemid=60

Last edited:
Im not sure if they do to be honest. I was actually finally able to get Windows installed on the SSD but only in IDE mode, I cant get the drive recognized in AHCI :-( ...frustrating...

Oh yeah the Mtron is the 7500 Pro series so hopefully the issues locating a driver does not apply to it.

Finally got a response from Mtron and they said that my particular drive should not be an issue...any ideas anyone? Thx

You seem to be in an area where not many folks have any experience.

If your drive is capable, which it appears it is, I have to ask again if there is a firmware update for it.

If not that, all I could suggest is to load some AHCI driver during the Win 7 install. Does Mtron show such a thing for that drive?

If nothing else, use the IDE install and do the registry hack to add the msahci driver after the install.

Thanks for the reply. I did actually just recently update the firmware to 0.20R1 which supposedly is the latest. The registry hack for msahci driver I have done if thats the one where you change the value to 0 then reboot to the BIOS and change to AHCI and save-reboot.. the drive still wont show in the BIOS after that though it does say its in AHCI mode and stops on verifying DMI Pool Data with a blinking cursor, im guessing since the BIOS doesnt recognize the drive to load into...

You may need to clear your CMOS. Ive lost my OCZ Vertex a couple of times and that fixed it. You will need to check your motherboard manual if you dont know how to do this. It easy as though.

While you were in disk management, after you formated the drive, did you make it active? There is an option in the right click menu.

Last edited:
Its an active drive, Im running Windows on it right now, thats the drive Im using as my main drive but I just cant get it recognized if I go to AHCI mode....IF I clear the cmos will I have to reinstall Windows cause Ive reinstalled 4 times last month and I really hate doing it?

No, you shouldnt have to reinstall, but it will reset all your BIOS options. Please backup to be safe though. Any overclock settings you may have will need to be reset etc. However I didnt read your post properly and that you have it working in IDE so Im not sure it will help. It cant hurt to try though.

Is there a particular reason you want to run in ACHI? I run my SSD in ACHI but have done heaps of benches in IDE and found little difference in speeds.

Back