Windows 8 Can't Install Windows 8.1 in my Dell Inspiron N5110

Amjad

Hi,
Can't Install Windows 8.1 in my Dell Inspiron N5110.
After completing the installation a black screen will come and system will hang.
I've tried several times reinstalling but, same result.
Need some help here guy's
Thanks,

Sent from my C6602

Hi

I know this is not a current model but how old is it?

What are the specs?

What OS was it running before you tried to install Windows 8.1?

Do you have a system image to get back to your old OS?

Are you doing an upgrade or an install from a new Microsoft install disk?

This may be a Bios incompatibility.

Check out this post...

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/p/19528994/20463807.aspx

Mike

Hi

I know this is not a current model but how old is it?

What are the specs?

What OS was it running before you tried to install Windows 8.1?

Do you have a system image to get back to your old OS?

Are you doing an upgrade or an install from a new Microsoft install disk?

This may be a Bios incompatibility.

Check out this post...

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/p/19528994/20463807.aspx

Mike

Hi Mike,
Yes it's 4yr old model lap.
Specs:
intel core i3, 3GB ram, 500gb hd and was running on windows 7 ultimate
Bios, I've recently upgraded from A10 to A11.
I have to create a sys image and try again.
Btw seems that link helps
Thanks a lot

Sent from my C6602

1. While not officially supported by Dell, one of my fellow geeks at work has the same model currently running 8.1 for his sons' school work.

2. A black screen does circa indicate hanging when installing 8.1 but could also just be looking for drivers over a slow network or the i3 chip might be trying to unpack something large… how long a hang (5-10 minutes) are we looking at?

3. Is the install coming from a disc or usb?

Incompatible file systems would be my first guess given that windows 7 uses mbr and would have a hidden (locked) recovery drive because it is a laptop whereas 8.1 wants the new efi format and also should be installed on a clean (unallocated space) hdd for best practice… by all means put 7 back on afterwards if you want it to dual boot and obviously you will have backed up the hdd before you formatted it.

1. While not officially supported by Dell, one of my fellow geeks at work has the same model currently running 8.1 for his sons' school work.

2. A black screen does circa indicate hanging when installing 8.1 but could also just be looking for drivers over a slow network or the i3 chip might be trying to unpack something large… how long a hang (5-10 minutes) are we looking at?

3. Is the install coming from a disc or usb?

Incompatible file systems would be my first guess given that windows 7 uses mbr and would have a hidden (locked) recovery drive because it is a laptop whereas 8.1 wants the new efi format and also should be installed on a clean (unallocated space) hdd for best practice… by all means put 7 back on afterwards if you want it to dual boot and obviously you will have backed up the hdd before you formatted it.
Hi,
The hang time, I'm sure it's more than 10mins.
I installed from CD.
I've created an image backup now. So, let me try installing again and come back with result
Thanks,

Sent from my C6602

Guy's,
Installed win 8.1 again by updating bios to A11. Updated all the available windows updates(recommended/optional), installed all recommended dell drivers (some where not required still didn't too a chance :))
Now it's 3 hrs after installation, Up and running....

Sent from my C6602

Hi

That's great news, and thanks for coming back and letting us know.
It helps to know what worked when someone else comes along with a similar problem.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom