Windows 10 Can't play DVDs on Windows 10

N14

I upgraded to windows 10 and have downloaded the VCL player, but DVDs still won't play on my laptop!

Open your app list, scroll down to M "movies and tv" is the default player for WX... does that work?
Screenshot (80).png

I have "Films & TV" which only allows me to purchase films to watch, not play my own DVDs :(
I can't find a "Media" tab? I have the 1.6.0.0 version and can only see Home, Video, Music and File tabs.

None of the apps of Windows 10 plays DVD's. It has been removed from the Mediaplayer, your copy of Mediacenter has been removed during the upgrade and 'Film and TV' app only plays what you bought

But there is VLC free of charge, and maybe you own PowerDVD or Nero DVD player or...
and they all play your DVD's very well

If you open VLC you will see on top

VLC media player
Media Playback Audio Video Subtitle Tools View Help

1. Click on Media
2. than select Open Disc and navigate to your DVD or the Video_TS directory

Hope this helps

Last edited:
@N14, I just wanted to know if the app will play as that proves your g-card is working so then the problem is VLC player or the file is somehow corupt.

To be clear, the default WX app is "Movies & TV" and this app CAN play files that have not come from the Microsoft store... the store folder is just the default location to look for stuff guys.
Screenshot (103).png

Select as many new folders as you like from any location on the network that your computer has permission to go and they will be added {as well as sorted} in the same script type that itunes uses.

Back