Windows 7 Can't share printer, get error

synack

I have a USB connected Canon iP4500 printer connected to my Win7 x64 box. I can't seem to share the printer. Every time I try, I get an error as in the picture below. It says "Printer settings could not be saved. Operation could not be completed (error 0x000006d9)." Anyone seen this and know of a fix?

Hi there
What computer are you using to connect to the shared printer ( or more importantly what OS are you running on the computer you are using that's trying to connect to the shared printer). If it's anything other than the same OS then you need to configure it differently.

If you give proper COMPLETE information then people can answer your questions.

Cheers

jimbo

The problem is that it won't share on my x64 Win7 v7068 box. I can't create the shared printer.

The problem is that it won't share on my x64 Win7 v7068 box. I can't create the shared printer.

Your question is still unclear.

1) what computer is the printer attached to (and what OS is it running). For this example this is the REMOTE computer and is called BLACKDOG. It's Network IP address is 192.168.0.3. This is running Windows 7 X-64 build 7068 and has an Epson 1290 photo printer locally connected to it via a USB.

2) What is the Client computer (and what OS is it running). For this example I'll assume you are using a laptop Networked computer and this will be your LOCAL computer called REDFOX. This computer is running WINDOWS XP PRO (32 bit of course).

If you want to connect to a true Network printer ( one of those printers directly connected to the Network without being physically attached to any computer (i.e It has its own IP address) this method works as well - note where I've mentioned Network printer.

Ok here goes.

1) on BLACKDOG enable printer sharing as per ist attachment (for a printer physically attached to this computer). We'll call the share name PHOTOPRINTER.

Ignore this step for "Stand alone" network printer,

2) On REDFOX go into control panel (remember it's XP but same method on Windows 7) and select ADD PRINTER.

3) Select LOCAL ( I know it's attached to a computer on a Remote computer but as far as your LOCAL computer is concerned you have to set it as a LOCAL Printer - especially if the OS version is different on the Local or Remote machines. The reason for this is that the LOCAL machine can use IT' OWN DRIVER and just send the "Rendered" print job directly to the hardware. This saves problems with 32 / 64 bit drivers on the same machine (and / or different OS versions). Uncheck the box Automatically detect and install my Plug and Play printer (windows XP) .

4) on the next screen click the box Create a new port and choose LOCAL Port in the drop down box. (If it was a true Network printer - one of those that are just plugged in to the network directly and not physically connected to any computer you would select Standard TCP/IP port instead).

5) on the Port name popup enter EITHER the IP address of a Stand alone Network printer OR if in our example the printer is attached to computer BLACKDOG enter PORT NAME as \\BLACKDOG\PHOTOPRINTER
(on a "Stand alone network printe" just enter the Printers IP address on the network e.g \\10.2.15.34 or whatever)

6) This is where "the magic" comes in -- You'll be prompted to install the driver for the printer ON THE LOCAL machine - so in my case it will ask for the Windows XP driver -- select your printer model and click next if the printer driver is already installed ON YOUR LOCAL MACHINE -- NOT THE REMOTE ONE. If it isn't select Windows UPDATE or HAVE DISK otherwise just type next.
The magic here is that you use the driver on your LOCAL machine whatever OS it's running (works even if your local machine was running Linux so long as the remote printer is made "shareable"). If it finds an existing driver it will ask you do you want to keep it or not -- choose the option you want.

7) finally select a name for your LOCAL printer and check the box of you want to make it your default printer.

Then you can print a test page if you want to --should all work.

Here's the setup and scenario:

I have a PC with Win7 x64 build 7068. On this PC, it has a Canon Pixma iP4500 printer attached via USB. This printer was attached and the system loaded the built in Canon iP4500 series driver. It shows up properly in Devices and Printers, is my default printer, and prints fine locally.

I would like to SHARE this printer with others on the network. So I open up the printer properties, click the Share tab, click Share this Printer and then apply (accepting the default names, etc). A dialog box then pops as shown in the image in post#1 of this thread that says "Printer settings could not be saved. Operation could not be completed (error 0x000006d9)." Dismissing the dialog box and then going into printer properties and then sharing shows that the sharing settings were NOT set and the printer is NOT shared.

Got some time to mess with it tonight and managed to get it working. I normally disable the Windows Firewall service on my systems and have had issues in the past with programs (like the Zune software) that fail if they try to monkey with the firewall and it's not running. So I enabled the Windows Firewall and sure enough, I can share the printer now and remote machines can print without issue.

Last edited:
i am having the same issue. i have my computer running windows 7 beta and my buddies computer running windows xp. the printer is connected directly to my computer and after going through the steps you listed above, on the xp machine, after i type in the port name, i get an error saying "logon failure: unknown user name or bad password". Any suggestion to fix this issue would be appreciated. My buddy keeps raggin on me about using windows 7 because it has its issues right now but i am trying my hardest to prove him wrong. lol The OS is incredible. What fun is beta testing if there's no issues! :)

1) On YOUR computer (W7) allow the Printer to be shared - also enable firewalls if using. Create the printer SHARE NAME that the XP machine will see -- say TESTPRINTER. Try sharing a disk as well to ensure the XP machine can access your W7 machine in the first place.

2) on the XP machine can you SEE the W7 shared folders. (while testing kill all firewalls and AV software -- this just complicates matters until you get the base network running.

If you can't run the Network setup wizard on the XP machine which will enable file and print sharing.

Then it should all work.

Try pinging the W7 machine from the XP machine. If that fails then you need to sort Network connectivity first before you can do anything else.

Note the user of the XP machine MUST HAVE an account on the W7 machine before the print share will work. Networking rules are "tighter" on W7.

Cheers
jimbo

1) printer is shared. firewall enabled. share name created but the xp machine does not recognize it. it shows access to my pc and we have the ability to file share both directions. we tried using the xp setup wizard disc on both machines and it errors out on 7.

2) base network is working

file and printer sharing is enabled on both computers and i have an account made on my W7 pc for him. still gives the "logon failure: unknown user name or bad password" error.

never mind on that. we managed to get it working. my buddy had other printers listed on his computer, removed them all and tried your suggestion from the above post. he is now able to access the printer on his pc. Thanks a bunch for the help Jimbo!

Last edited:
Synack,

I'm not sure your issue was understood correctly, but I got it. I had the same issue on my installation, and the problem was that the Windows firewall service was disabled. When I re-enabled it, I was able to share out my printers. I tested this several times, and that was the issue for me. Hope this helps you.

Synack,

I'm not sure your issue was understood correctly, but I got it. I had the same issue on my installation, and the problem was that the Windows firewall service was disabled. When I re-enabled it, I was able to share out my printers. I tested this several times, and that was the issue for me. Hope this helps you.

Yes, that's what fixed it for me too. I used to always disable the Windows firewall service...I guess we can't do that anymore.

I'm glad that you got it figured out. incase that you haven't figured this out, after you share the printers out, you can go ahead an disable the firewall service again. Things will work normally.

Thanks to all. I had the same problem with the Firewall Service and a shared printer. I could fix it starting such service. Greetings from Argentina.

I wanted to share my experience with this issue and my resolution. After running windows update and the printer driver for my HP laser jet 1200 series printer not sharing to win vista but, printing directly from Win 7, I received an error from windows update. The error led me to an article indicating the possibility that Windows 7 was not fully recognizing that the printer was connected.

I realized that all of my peripherals were connected to the computer during installation of Windows 7.

The resolution was to uninstall the driver, then disconnect the USB cable from the computer and plug it back in. The found new hardward wizard took over and located the driver on windows update and installed all of the necessary components.

Then off to my Vista PC and the shared printer installed just as you might expect.

However, windows 7 still can not access the shared folders on the Vista PC.

This may not be the solution for all having this issue but, it workd for me.

Error 0x000006d9 on a shared printer in Windows 7

You can marked this issue as solved!
The offending program causing this error is Windows Firewall, here's what you need to do to resolve this issue....
If like me you have disabled windows firewall, I use Comodo Internet Security, you need to re-enable the Windows firewall in order to share the printer.

If you have disabled or turned off Windows Firewall. (and this error in my case was caused by exactly that and EXACTLY this Error code)
Step #1 - Disable any other firewall you may have installed. Stop it from loading at boot and restart your PC.

Step #2 - Go to the Admin Tools Folder >> Services >> Windows Firewall >> Double click and either set it to Manual or Automatic and Save.

Step #3 - Open Control Panel >> System & Security >> Windows Firewall >> Turn Windows Firewall On or Off >> (Enable) Turn on Windows Firewall >> Save
Then go to Restore Defaults >> Click Restore Defaults Button >> Save
(you only need to do this IF you changed any settings for the firewall, but it's still a good idea and will ensure there are no problems when proceeding)

Step #4 - Click Control Panel Home >> View Devices & Printers >> Select/Click your Printer >> Display Printer Properties >> Sharing >> Share this Printer >> OK

Step #5 - Go Back to Windows Firewall and Turn it back off >> Save

Step #6 - Go Back to Services >> And set Windows Firewall to Manual (or disable if you prefer, I recommend disable to prevent conflicts with preferred firewall you are using.)

Step #7 - Restart & Re-enable your preferred firewall to start at Boot >> Reboot

Does not work with Vista

I tried the procedure with XP and it worked perfectly.
Now I am trying the same with computers with Vista and when i type the adress "\\BLACKDOG\PHOTOPRINTER" I get "access is denied" message . I tried the same with two Vista computers and the same happened.
What should I do?

1) what computer is the printer attached to (and what OS is it running). For this example this is the REMOTE computer and is called BLACKDOG. It's Network IP address is 192.168.0.3. This is running Windows 7 X-64 build 7068 and has an Epson 1290 photo printer locally connected to it via a USB.

2) What is the Client computer (and what OS is it running). For this example I'll assume you are using a laptop Networked computer and this will be your LOCAL computer called REDFOX. This computer is running WINDOWS XP PRO (32 bit of course).

If you want to connect to a true Network printer ( one of those printers directly connected to the Network without being physically attached to any computer (i.e It has its own IP address) this method works as well - note where I've mentioned Network printer.

Ok here goes.

1) on BLACKDOG enable printer sharing as per ist attachment (for a printer physically attached to this computer). We'll call the share name PHOTOPRINTER.

Ignore this step for "Stand alone" network printer,

2) On REDFOX go into control panel (remember it's XP but same method on Windows 7) and select ADD PRINTER.

3) Select LOCAL ( I know it's attached to a computer on a Remote computer but as far as your LOCAL computer is concerned you have to set it as a LOCAL Printer - especially if the OS version is different on the Local or Remote machines. The reason for this is that the LOCAL machine can use IT' OWN DRIVER and just send the "Rendered" print job directly to the hardware. This saves problems with 32 / 64 bit drivers on the same machine (and / or different OS versions). Uncheck the box Automatically detect and install my Plug and Play printer (windows XP) .

4) on the next screen click the box Create a new port and choose LOCAL Port in the drop down box. (If it was a true Network printer - one of those that are just plugged in to the network directly and not physically connected to any computer you would select Standard TCP/IP port instead).

5) on the Port name popup enter EITHER the IP address of a Stand alone Network printer OR if in our example the printer is attached to computer BLACKDOG enter PORT NAME as \\BLACKDOG\PHOTOPRINTER
(on a "Stand alone network printe" just enter the Printers IP address on the network e.g \\10.2.15.34 or whatever)

6) This is where "the magic" comes in -- You'll be prompted to install the driver for the printer ON THE LOCAL machine - so in my case it will ask for the Windows XP driver -- select your printer model and click next if the printer driver is already installed ON YOUR LOCAL MACHINE -- NOT THE REMOTE ONE. If it isn't select Windows UPDATE or HAVE DISK otherwise just type next.
The magic here is that you use the driver on your LOCAL machine whatever OS it's running (works even if your local machine was running Linux so long as the remote printer is made "shareable"). If it finds an existing driver it will ask you do you want to keep it or not -- choose the option you want.

7) finally select a name for your LOCAL printer and check the box of you want to make it your default printer.

Then you can print a test page if you want to --should all work.[/QUOTE]

I tried the procedure with XP and it worked perfectly.
Now I am trying the same with computers with Vista and when i type the adress \"\\BLACKDOG\PHOTOPRINTER\" I get \"access is denied\" message . I tried the same with two Vista computers and the same happened.
What should I do?
FrederickBB:
Hello and welcome to the forums. Since the process seems to have worked well for you on your XP machine, I would think maybe asking yourself, what's different on the two Vista machines might be a logical starting point. My suspicion would be that the XP machine worked, because it shares a common username and password with the username and password on the machine hosting the resource you are attempting to attach to (presumably a Win7 machine) So perhaps you might want to add the username and password from each Vista machine to the list of users on the hosting machine. The username and password should be identical. You don't need to log on to the other machine with those accounts, they just need to be there, with the appropriate permissions to access the shares. Let us know if this does or doesn't help.

Do not work with Vista and WIndows 7 - sharing printer

FrederickBB:
Hello and welcome to the forums. Since the process seems to have worked well for you on your XP machine, I would think maybe asking yourself, what's different on the two Vista machines might be a logical starting point. My suspicion would be that the XP machine worked, because it shares a common username and password with the username and password on the machine hosting the resource you are attempting to attach to (presumably a Win7 machine) So perhaps you might want to add the username and password from each Vista machine to the list of users on the hosting machine. The username and password should be identical. You don't need to log on to the other machine with those accounts, they just need to be there, with the appropriate permissions to access the shares. Let us know if this does or doesn't help.

Hello,

That´s right, I need to find what is different with the Vista machines.

Windows 7 neither Vista asks for username and password.
I can see the Vista machines using WIndows explorer at the WIndows 7 machine.
I also can also see the Windows 7 machine using windows explorer at the Vista laptops machines.
With the Vista machine I can access folders at the WIndows 7 machine and vice-versa.
I cannot only share the printer.
Do you have another idea?

Hello,

That´s right, I need to find what is different with the Vista machines.

Windows 7 neither Vista asks for username and password.
I can see the Vista machines using WIndows explorer at the WIndows 7 machine.
I also can also see the Windows 7 machine using windows explorer at the Vista laptops machines.
With the Vista machine I can access folders at the WIndows 7 machine and vice-versa.
I cannot only share the printer.
Do you have another idea?
I've done some more research and have no idea why this would work of why it would even be necessary but you can try it and see if it gets you over the hump
On the Windows7 machine hosting the shared printer
Go here C:\Windows\System32\spool
Right click on the PRINTERS folder and choose properties
Go to the sharing tab and then click the advanced sharing button
Check the box that says "Share this folder"
Then click the permissions button
Make sure "Everyone" is selected in the top frame and
In the bottom frame check the box for full control under the allow column
Click OK
Click OK again
Now under the Security Tab
Click the Edit button under the top frame
In the next dialog box that appears select the add button
In the next dialog box that appears select advanced button
In the next dialog box the appears select the find now button
In the bottom frame choose "NETWORK" and click OK
then click OK again on the box that you go back to
And then on the next box you go back to click to select "NETWORK" which you just added in the top frame
And check the box for full control under the allow column in the bottom frame
You will probably get a security warning, just click yes
And then you'll go back to the properties box, just click close.
You may have to reboot, not sure. Won't hurt
Now see if you can add the local printer port from the vista machine as you tried before

Last edited:
It worked!

It works perfectly in both Vista laptops.
Thank you very much.

I've done some more research and have no idea why this would work of why it would even be necessary but you can try it and see if it gets you over the hump
On the Windows7 machine hosting the shared printer
Go here C:\Windows\System32\spool
Right click on the PRINTERS folder and choose properties
Go to the sharing tab and then click the advanced sharing button
Check the box that says "Share this folder"
Then click the permissions button
Make sure "Everyone" is selected in the top frame and
In the bottom frame check the box for full control under the allow column
Click OK
Click OK again
Now under the Security Tab
Click the Edit button under the top frame
In the next dialog box that appears select the add button
In the next dialog box that appears select advanced button
In the next dialog box the appears select the find now button
In the bottom frame choose "NETWORK" and click OK
then click OK again on the box that you go back to
And then on the next box you go back to click to select "NETWORK" which you just added in the top frame
And check the box for full control under the allow column in the bottom frame
You will probably get a security warning, just click yes
And then you'll go back to the properties box, just click close.
You may have to reboot, not sure. Won't hurt
Now see if you can add the local printer port from the vista machine as you tried before

It works perfectly in both Vista laptops.
Thank you very much.
Glad, you were able to resolve your issues, and thanks so much for posting back and letting us know. I still don't understand why that would be necessary, but I have had to do something similar on a Windows 2008 r2 server to get things going, but I was sure at the time and I'm still pretty sure that I was and am overlooking something simpler and more basic, I just can't think what it might be so for now I'll just blame it on Vista.

Back