Windows 10 Cant update hard drive full?

rewrisk

I learnt some time ago that you could delete the information that builds up in the software distribution folder and that has kept me going but a few months ago I noticed windows was holding onto data somewhere else after an update for a few weeks then it would just disappear. With the last update however that did not happen, perhaps because windows does not recognize the update was successful despite it actually being installed? However I have not been able to install the latest update manually because there is not enough room left on the hard drive 2.98Gb, to do so. I am usually left with about 5Gb but even after manually moving driver backup files, deleting software distribution download files, deleting a bunch of old HP log files, running disk cleanup and clean up system files I only have 2.98 Gb. I moved all the Apps windows would allow to a memory card ages ago though windows claims Apps are taking up 8.1Gb which has jumped from 5 something Gb for no reason I know of? Help please!

First off how large is the disk? Second down TreeSize Free and take a screenshot of it expanded so we can help clean up the disk.

First off how large is the disk? Second down TreeSize Free and take a screenshot of it expanded so we can help clean up the disk.

Supposed to 32Gb but says 27.8Gb. 3.03Gb free though yesterday it got up to 3.94

Attachments

• Cdrive.png
    Cdrive.png
    48.1 KB · Views: 356
Is this one of those machines with 32gb of eMMC which crashes firs time it tries to run an update? If so then the basicc problem is that by the time the op sys, a few few apps and a bit of user data has consumed about 30 of the available 32gb of the eMMC there is insufficient memory to store and update let alone run it. They should not be on sale, at least in the UK as IMHO they are "unfit for purpose" and contravene trading standards legislation.

You might try deleting temporary files. Right click on start and click on run. Type %temp% and highlight all the files and delete. Some may or may not delete. If you have never done that then there could be a lot to delete.

I meant show a screeshot with treesize so we can see what's taking up space.

You might try deleting temporary files. Right click on start and click on run. Type %temp% and highlight all the files and delete. Some may or may not delete. If you have never done that then there could be a lot to delete.
Nothing there.

Windows 10 will allow you to plugin a flash drive to use for space during the update process. I would suggest using the assistant found on the Windows 10 download page to update to the latest build, it should detect the low space and allow you to plugin a flash drive to use for temporary space.

These 32GB machines are insane, should have never been sold in my opinion.

windows-needs-space.jpg

Windows 10 will allow you to plugin a flash drive to use for space during the update process. I would suggest using the assistant found on the Windows 10 download page to update to the latest build, it should detect the low space and allow you to plugin a flash drive to use for temporary space.

These 32GB machines are insane, should have never been sold in my opinion.

windows-needs-space.jpg

The Assistant says thanks for downloading windows 10 and the only option is exit.
Does this mean the latest update was successful and windows simply is not recognizing that as with kb4088776?
When I tried to manually install kb4088776 it said it was already installed whereas with kb4089848 it still attempts to install and fails.

That's not a standard windows directory. Without knowing what it's for I wouldn't straight out delete it, but if you figure out that you may be able to delete the whole thing

That's not a standard windows directory. Without knowing what it's for I wouldn't straight out delete it, but if you figure out that you may be able to delete the whole thing

Don't know if this ,makes it any clearer but I opened up a few things?

Attachments

• treesize1.png
    treesize1.png
    44 KB · Views: 413
  • treesize2.png
    treesize2.png
    42.1 KB · Views: 382
Ok after some digging this is a DISM provisioning package. It was likely created by the OEM and basically can contain any programs and drivers the computer shipped with so if you do a restore they can be rolled back. Personally I would delete since when I buy a laptop I already remove all the junk the OEM installs anyways and drivers can be simply downloaded if needed.

Deleting the ppkg can be difficult though since it has an open handle from the system process. You would need to kill the handle from procexp if you can or boot into the recovery environment or a Windows install disc and delete it.

Ok after some digging this is a DISM provisioning package. It was likely created by the OEM and basically can contain any programs and drivers the computer shipped with so if you do a restore they can be rolled back. Personally I would delete since when I buy a laptop I already remove all the junk the OEM installs anyways and drivers can be simply downloaded if needed.

Deleting the ppkg can be difficult though since it has an open handle from the system process. You would need to kill the handle from procexp if you can or boot into the recovery environment or a Windows install disc and delete it.

Thanks Neemobeer.
I did some reading on this and copied it to my sdhd card then deleted it from C:\ and linked C:\Recovery to F:\Recovery with; mlink /j but I keep getting a dos window with microsoft.net\V2.050727\installutil.exe popping up so I guess there is some problem?
I did manage to install the update kb4089848 though autoupdate is still trying to reinstall it. The manual installer say's it is installed. Any idea's?

First off open an powershell (admin) prompt [windows key + x] then select 'Windows PowerShell (admin)

Type the following to verify the update is installed
Get-HotFix | ? { $_.HotFixId -like "*4089848*" }

If it returns something it should be there.

If it's there then do the following in the powershell prompt

Stop-Service wuauserv
Stop-Service bits

Remove-Item C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\ -Force -Recurse

Start-Service bits
Start-Service wuauserv

Then re-run Windows Updates. The directory should be recreated and hopefully that update will not try to reinstall.

First off open an powershell (admin) prompt [windows key + x] then select 'Windows PowerShell (admin)

Type the following to verify the update is installed
Get-HotFix | ? { $_.HotFixId -like "*4089848*" }

If it returns something it should be there.

If it's there then do the following in the powershell prompt

Stop-Service wuauserv
Stop-Service bits

Remove-Item C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\ -Force -Recurse

Start-Service bits
Start-Service wuauserv

Then re-run Windows Updates. The directory should be recreated and hopefully that update will not try to reinstall.

Got cant stop cant open wuaserv?
Same with bits?

Then you're not running powershell elevated. It should say Admin in the title bar

Back