Windows 7 can''t update win 7

Ziove

I've recently got a new computer without an OS, I bought a windows 7 disc, install went fine but I've got a problem, I can't update. When ever I try the update windows it just keeps checking for updates, the OS is Windows 7 Premium 64bit SP1.

I've tried updating the update agent.
Tried downloading updates for the framework and security using Windows Catalog.
Did a windows error checking tool at start up with no issues.
I tried the windows fix update tool says it fixed an error but says every time its run with no details of what it is.

Everything else is working fine just not the updates.

One thing I noticed compared to the windows 7 laptop I'm using at the moment is that I've an extra drive for backups the normal C drive and then a D drive "backup" where as the new computer only has a C drive not sure if this is a problem or not, can anyone help?

Hi,
if your having difficulties obtaining the download for Windows 10 then try the media creation from Microsoft. This will allow you to download windows 10 in a number of ways including the iso files.
Please remember to qualify for the free copy of Windows 10 you must upgrade first. After that you can do a clean install and windows will activate automatically.
Windows 10

I need to stay with windows 7 as I've software that is not compatible with later versions of windows.

You could try stopping the windows update service and the Background Intelligent Transfer service, delete everything in the Software Distribution folder in C:\Windows. Rebooting and then trying to update. Try that and get back to us.

Tried deleting the folder and files same issue, tried downloading the latest update for sp1 and when I start it up it says searching for updates on this computer as a standalone update but just keeps searching.

You say it just keeps searching! How long have you let it search for up dates.
No this is not a problem. The partitions depend on how you set up the drive when you install the operating service!
One thing I noticed compared to the windows 7 laptop I'm using at the moment is that I've an extra drive for backups the normal C drive and then a D drive "backup" where as the new computer only has a C drive not sure if this is a problem or not, can anyone help?

Ziove
have you tryied what the video above will explain to you, yes or not we are going around the bush i need to know if your going to try that or not. thanks

My advice to you is leave it running overnight because I have seen this take up to 24 hours to show updates available and another 24 hours to install the updates. Probably due to extra server duty for Windows 10 downloads or something worse I don't want to think about.
If you use Power Management (Power Options in Control Panel) make sure for this project monitor and hard drive are set to "always on".

Tried everything I could find online nothing worked, feel asleep with the computer on and woke up with a message saying update stage 5 of 5 complete at 35% then it restarted, checked the check for update same thing and says there was no recent check for updates but in the installed updates section it shows the file names.

Tried everything I could find online nothing worked, feel asleep with the computer on and woke up with a message saying update stage 5 of 5 complete at 35% then it restarted, checked the check for update same thing and says there was no recent check for updates but in the installed updates section it shows the file names.

They've installed then

Yes you are done but I would check again as there probably are another batch but you have to make it "check for updates" again yourself
and wait it out.

Back