Windows 10 Cautions Email Scam...

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

Today I have received two email messages one ostensibly from Amazon and one from Microsoft.
Both names you think you can trust, both were fake invoices for things I haven't purchased.

Both invoices are in the same format and are obviously from the same sender.

I copied the first one and sent it to Amazon who has already replied acknowledging that it is bogus.
The one I received labeled to be from Microsoft was $349,00 to pay for Windows Defender for two years.

I was just wondering how widespread this is.

I hope people aren't really falling for these.

Mike

These types are extremely common and yes sadly lots of people fall for them. Phishing is a very effective low tech (in most cases) way to get credentials or straight up money from people.

The FBI has estimated that about $12billion dollars have been lost to phishing in the last 5 years alone. Because it is so lucrative it's not likely to ever stop.

Phishing can come in the form of mail, text messages, fax, in person, email and phone calls (basically any form of communication).

It must be the season, my friend got one on his credit card today too, had to go to the credit union and change his card number.
The weird thing is, I have two cards, one I never use online and one I only use online.
The online card has a low limit.

I've had my number stollen twice both times on my card I never use online.
It's always the credit card company that catches and calls me.

It's always the season; however, the bad guys will take advantage of anything for phishing. The election, COVID, a natural disaster, anything...

Back
Top Bottom