Windows 10 CCleaner Registry Fix

Hermitkrab

Honorable Member
I've used and trusted CCleaner for years, but am afraid to launch its registry cleaning function. Have any of you tried it without any ill results? I know that it does back up the registry, but I still have a mental block when it comes to messing with the registry.

I use CCleaner too. It is best not to use any programs that clean the registry.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

Yes, I've used it on some of my production computers as well as several test machines and a small select number of Customer computers. Absolutely a very good product.:D I believe it's about a 98% success rate on usage based on my testing. Of course, no Registry Cleaner is perfect; I've used most of the ones on the market over the years. I don't recommend using it yourself unless you are prepared to completely backup all your data to external media and be prepared to wipe your C: drive, reinstall Windows and all your programs and reintegrate your data via restore!

If you have expert-level knowledge of computers, such as you work in IT or are a programmer, web-developer, or fix computers for a living, then go for it!

It has proven useful and speeds up repairs on broken computers that would take days or weeks longer to repair by manual means such as MS Regedit.exe.

Best of luck,:eagerness:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Hi

I've used the registry checker in CCleaner for years, I run it at least a couple of times a week, and always after uninstalling any software and it has never caused me any problems.

It usually does find leftovers after uninstalling something and occasionally some other issues.

I always do the backup the registry option, but I've never in more then ten years restored it.

I will say that CCleaner is the only registry cleaner that I use, and trust.

You can always run it and see what it finds, it won't go ahead and remove the entries until you tell it to.
I'm always interested to see what it finds, and can usually identify most of the things that it's removing.

Here's a scan that I just did...

CCleaner_zpshmma7jib.jpg

Mike

You can also save the registry items it removes in case you need to reinstall them.
Joe

I've never ran a reg cleaner, just isn't needed and they always end up causing issues down the road.

I just ran it few minutes ago. It had almost 1000 "fixes" it did. No issues after reboot. However, my original issue I have posted in another thread "
Internet Explorer is extremely slow" still exists.

Hi

Try using something other then Internet Explorer.
Microsoft isn't even pushing that any more.

Try out Google Chrome, of Mozilla Firefox, or even the native Windows 10, Edge.

I'm using Firefox and it is fast, dependable, and easy to use.
Not something I would claim for Edge.

Mike

Hi

You could try running CCleaner to clean out any cashes etc. if this doesn't help then...

I would start by deactivating it and rebooting.
Then reactivating it again.

In older versions of Windows that offered IE as the standard browser, you could simply go to add remove software and uncheck it and click OK.

Then reboot and recheck the box, this often fixed any errors.

It looks like you can do the same thing in Windows 10.

To uninstall IE11, from Windows 10, follow these steps.
  1. Open “Control Panel“.
  2. Select “Programs“.
  3. Select “Turn Windows features on or off“.
  4. Uncheck “Internet Explorer 11“, then click “OK“.
  5. Select “Yes” on the warning about Turning off Internet Explorer 11.
Once you've done this reboot and repeat the process rechecking the box.
In Chrome and Firefox your info and favorites are saved in the cloud, not sure about IE, it's been a long time since I used it.

Mike

Ah, so you are suggesting, basically.......uninstall IE, reboot, then reinstalling it? I like this approach. How did I not think of this!?...also, before doing this, go to:
C:\Users\YourUserNameHere\Favorites
and save every file/dir under here, off to the side, once IE is back, copy them back to this dir (these would be your favorite places)

You could try the Vivaldi browser. I like it better than all the other browsers.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

Sorry, I was being sarcastic. There is noway these "other browsers" are 100% compatible, for some of the development work I do, Chrome and firefox are not...sorry I don't buy it.

Back
Top Bottom