Ccleaner update

davehc

Essential Member
Premium Supporter
No Disrespect, Joey. But I would, with reservation, disagree. Ccleaner is old and tried. It does what it says. As a hobby, and to advise locally, I love to test programs which are brought to my attention. I examined Bleachbit (which I had never previously heard of) All I could find Strictly IMHO, was a more complicated way of doing precisely what Ccleaner does.

Digerati

Fantastic Member
Microsoft MVP
Well, I note Joey didn't make any claims that Bleachbit was better, just that he preferred it.

While CCleaner has been around longer, I note Bleachbit is over 10 years old too and has been "tried" as well. So not sure that matters.

Personally, I think Bleachbit is for different audiences. Yes, it works on Windows, but Bleachbit is a "cross-platform" application that works with Linux and Mac systems too - something CCleaner does not do. That could be a major plus for some.

And clearly, Bleachbit's UI is less refined, more for the "hands-on" folks - again that may be a plus for more advanced users.

That said, I much "prefer" CCleaner too and I feel for most "Windows" users, CCleaner is the way to go. But I also feel for most "Windows" users, Windows own "Disk Cleanup" is more than adequate and it's already in there. In fact, if folks are looking to free up some disk space because it is getting critically low, Windows Disk Cleanup is the best solution. Why? Because it is counter-productive to download and install yet another program that takes up disk space when disk space is already critically low.

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
A new Version 5.56.7144 of the free CCleaner system cleaning utility has been released
CCleaner v5.56.7144

In this release, we have several improvements to the new Software Updater feature alongside improvements to IE/Edge cleaning.
Software Updater
  • Moved the Software Updater to the second slot in the ‘Tools’ menu
  • Stability improvements
  • Improved software identification
  • Added new software to the supported list
Browser Cleaning
  • Added additional database tables for IE & Edge cleaning
Bug Fixes
  • Fixed an issue where the 'Cookies to Keep' list was not saving correctly
  • Added application support for the Malay language

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
A new Version 5.57.7182 of the free CCleaner system cleaning utility has been released.
Release notes
v5.57.7182 (14 May 2019)
Easy Clean
- NEW! Simplified cleaning flow: ‘Easy Clean’
- Original ‘Cleaner’ renamed to ‘Custom Clean’

Software Updater
- Software Updater now confirms when there are no pending updates

Startup Management
- Added a new tab in ‘Startup’ to manage Windows Services

Settings & Preferences
- Added ‘preferred home screen’ setting (inherits preference from ‘cleaning results’ setting)

Installation
- Have made steps to address the ‘Error opening file for writing’ bug by improving termination of existing CCleaner processes prior to install

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
A new version 5.58.7209 of the free CCleaner system cleaning utility has been released.
Release notes
v5.58.7209 (06 Jun 2019)
Easy Clean
- Fixed a bug that was causing Easy Clean to disappear from the navigation menu

Browser Cleaning
- Fixed an issue that prevented the cleaning of Chrome's Download History

Installer
- Google Toolbar for Internet Explorer is no longer offered in CCleaner
View full version history...
https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/version-history

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
A new version, v5.59.7230, of the free CCleaner system cleaning utility has been released.
Release notes
v5.59.7230 (25 Jun 2019)
Easy Clean
- Fixed a bug that prevented Easy Clean from being shown correctly to a small percentage of users

Software Updater
- Fixed a DPI display bug in the upgrade window

Localization
- Inserted additional translations into the installer

Joey1394

Digerati, I appreciate your un-bios view.

I do like Bleachbit more... and yes it is more advanced... not for the novice. It can Kill the wrong stuff if you are a newbie.

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
A new version, v5.60.7307, of the free CCleaner system cleaning utility has been released.
Release notes
v5.60.7307 (16 Jul 2019)
Browser Cleaning
- Improved the Flash cleaning rules in Chrome, Opera & CCleaner Browser

CCleaner Browser
- Added Smart Cleaning & Easy Clean support

Software Updater
- Fixed a disappearing text bug
- Fixed a navigational bug