Windows 10 CD DRIVE NOT TETECTED AFTER WINDOWS 10 UPGRADE

Strydoma

On July 30th I upgraded by computer to the Windows 10 operating system. Since then, however, my CD/DVD drive is not detected and/or recognized.

The icon on my desktop has a big question mark on it. If I click that, I get the following error message:

The item 'E:\' that this shortcut refers to has been chnaged or moved, so this shortcut will no longer work properly.

I have looked under Device Manager for the CD/DVD drive, and there's nothing there.

What happened, and how do I fix it?

Hi,
I helped a user the other day with exactly the same issue. His solution turned out to be running Windows update and downloading the recent patches (Microsoft released a big day 1 patch 1GB and a smaller patch only the other day)
Post back if this doesn't help.

Edit:
This was with the build released on the 29th. Is that the build your using?

Hi,
I helped a user the other day with exactly the same issue. His solution turned out to be running Windows update and downloading the recent patches (Microsoft released a big day 1 patch 1GB and a smaller patch only the other day)
Post back if this doesn't help.

Edit:
This was with the build released on the 29th. Is that the build your using?

Thanks so much for your reply. I've just checked my machine, and it says there are no updates available. So, I'm assuming that I have the most current updates, patches, etc.

Hi,
can you post the make and model of your machine please

Hi,
can you post the make and model of your machine please

Certainly! It is a Hewlett Packard Pavilion Slimline s5-1020

And I've tried to get HP's help, but they just throw their hands up and say, "Sorry, don't know what to tell you!"

I did some searching about this issue and came across a registry fix for the same issue but in Windows 8. I'm not sure if your familiar with editing the registry but again if you create a restore point you can go back if something disastrous happens:
You may experience that DVD drive is not recognized in Windows 8 - Microsoft Reduce Customer Effort Center - Site Home - TechNet Blogs
If your unsure on how to do this then leave it and we'll find another way.

This link is the same solution but offers another too (again for win 8 though)
http://www.intowindows.com/fix-dvd-drive-not-detected-in-windows-8/

Follow last post, second method and scroll down to the second method. Download the tool and run it. Re-boot computer. Voila ! Worked for me with exactly the same problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom