Windows 7 Change Boot Menu

haplyss

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit, on a Gateway, motherboard is EG43M. It is a dual-core Pentium, CPU E5300 @ 2.60GHz.

I have a virus that calls for running Windows Defender Offline. I'm trying to boot my PC from a USB drive to run WDO, but it doesn't work. I've tried pressing F12 on startup to enter the Boot Menu to change it. How do I gain entry to the Boot Menu to change to boot from USB drive?

Please, help!!:(

Haplyss

Hi

You will have to go into the bios and set it to boot from the USB drive.
It might be easier to copy the program to a DVD, if your computer is set up normally it is already set to boot first to the DVD and then your hard drive.

Mike

Q: How do I enter the BIOS setup utility on a Gateway Computer?A:
When the computer is turned off:
  • Turn on the computer and immediately press either the F1 key or the F2 key at one-second intervals to enter the BIOS setup utility.

When the computer is running:

• Restart the computer. As soon as the computer begins to restart, press either the F1 key or the F2 key at one-second intervals to enter the BIOS setup utility.

Last edited:
From what I can find, it looks like F12 should open a boot menu. But when and how the key is presses/tapped makes a difference. On my system, I can hit the key during the splash, or hold it down. Your system may be different.

But if you can't get it to work and you can get into the bios as per Mike's post, there may be something there to allow for a boot.

Back
Top Bottom