Windows 7 Change boot order - Win7 Ult / XP Pro dual-boot

trakkal

I have been using Win7 RC1 on a spare computer for a couple of months - quite happy with it. Bought Win7 Ultimate last week and installed it on a second drive in my main computer as a dual-boot with XP Pro. On boot up I get the choice of "Old operating system" or "Windows 7", which is highlighted by default. If I do nothing it boots into Win7.

At the moment I would prefer it to boot into XP by default. How do I change this, please? :frown:

Look under boot... when you run MSconfig I think you can change the priority. .. If not.. Google Bcdedit commands.

you can go into msconfig by typing that into windows search and opening then goto the "boot" tab and set your default and timeout, or you can use a simple little addon tool such as Easybcd .............

using easybcd you can also rename "Old operating system" to something better such as my XP etc

It's mostly inutive from here but please ask if your unsure of anything :)

Right-click on Computer, choose properties, click the Advanced System Setting > Startup and Recovery > Settings button and change it here.

Many thanks to all who responded, particularly 'ickymay'. I tried EasyBCD - great little utility and easy to use. Fixed my problem in a few minutes :p

Why the hell is it not built into Windows :cool:

Many thanks to all who responded, particularly 'ickymay'. I tried EasyBCD - great little utility and easy to use. Fixed my problem in a few minutes :p

Why the hell is it not built into Windows :cool:

Cause you're supposed to get down and dirty and learn the command line parameters with bcdedit. haha

Actually you are lucky.. easybcd OFTEN doesn't work .. try setting up a virtual hard drive then using it to add to the multi-boot menu.

Back
Top Bottom